The Last Date

Mickey's POV
July 1990

I clung to Tom's arm as we walked around the streets of Metropolis for the last time. His hands were in his pockets as we admired the little stores we passed, and the dancing lights of the city. As our last date before he moved to Virginia, we decided on a night on the town. It was one of our favorite date nights. We got burgers at a little joint, and sipped milkshakes as we walked around. We took the night to rewrite the stars, so the world could be ours just for tonight. The night was bittersweet. It was more bitter than sweet, just knowing that this was our last date before he left.

We were sneaking into bars, until the blanket of stars came out to entrance us. People were leaving town to go home for the night, which left the clean streets and sidewalks bare. We would not let the town shut down, we were just strolling hand in hand in the moonlight. I pointed up to the blue velvet sky and Tom and I found the Big Dipper and the Flying Horse constellations. It was July, so the air was warm. I was wearing a bubblegum pink cable knit sweater that I had tucked into a pair of dark high waisted mom jeans that were loose around my legs but tightened at my waist with a black belt. My color-block sneakers contrasted to Tom's black shoes. I wore the necklace and the ring Tom gave me, as well as a pair of matching gold earrings.

A comforting jazz tune carried through the air, and we came across a man playing the trumpet along with a young woman singing on the sidewalk with an instrument case opened with crumpled dollar bills tossed in for their amazing performances. We stopped for a moment to listen to them. I rested my head against Tom's shoulder, nearly drooling at the soft smell of bread wafting from a nearby bakery. Their jazzy styles were timeless and soothing.

Tom dropped a few bills into the trumpet case before he stepped in front of me and extended out his hand. I glanced down at it before I looked into his dark eyes. I took it and we began slow dancing in the empty street. The only light we had was from dim street lights, and the moon. The moon was the only light we needed.

The musicians finished their song and whispered to each other before they started playing another. I almost didn't recognize the song until she started singing. She had a strong and warm husky voice that embodied Julie London's almost perfectly, and the trumpet was ageless and smooth. Their performance was so emotive, sweet and mellow. Words from I'm In The Mood For Love rang in the air which blessed my ears, while Tom blessed my eyes. We slow danced romantically to the song.

I'm in the mood for love
Simply because you're near me.
Funny, but when you're near me
I'm in the mood for love.

Tom had his hand in mine, and his other was pressed to my lower back gently. My mind tried to wander to our undetermined future, but I kept snapping myself back into enjoying the present. All that mattered now, was that I was here with Tom. I couldn't tell you if the stars were out tonight, or if there was a cloud in the sky. I only had my eyes for him.

Heaven is in your eyes
Bright as the stars we're under
Oh! Is it any wonder
I'm in the mood for love?

A surprise rain began to drizzle on us, but we didn't care. We kept dancing, giggling as the water dripped down our faces and the rain soaked our clothes. When we kiss, we know we are in love. I know he is the one. The raindrops clung to his long lashes, and it was as if they were falling just to touch him. Slow dancing under the stormy skies came out of a dream. Tom grabbed my hands and spun me around as the rain dribbled on us, making me laugh. I really felt alive.

Why stop to think of whether
This little dream might fade?
We've put our hearts together
Now we are one, I'm not afraid!

I rested the side of my face into Tom's wet chest as we swayed back and forth, without a care in the world. I felt our hearts beat as one. I wanted to make the best out of the short amount of time we have left, and hear his beating heart one last time. I know I shouldn't want to keep him if he doesn't want to stay here. Until he is gone forever, I'll be holding on for dear life. Maybe if I hold him tight enough, it'll be my way to beg him to stay with me. The fragrance of the rain on the asphalt gave off a pleasant fresh earthy smell of comforting petrichor.

If there's a cloud above
If it should rain we'll let it
But for tonight, forget it!
I'm in the mood for love

The trumpeter ended the song on a soft note, which made my heart flutter. This is the closest to heaven that I will ever be, and I didn't want this night to end. He brought out the best in me, a part that I had never seen. I will hold this day in my heart forever because any day now, he will fly away like the wild and beautiful bird that he is, and I will be all alone. Our love was made for movie screens. I will always remember Tom this way: loving, romantic, spontaneous, and amazing.

I never knew I could ever fall for someone so hard as I did for Tom. Nights like these were going to live in my heart forever. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I was lucky enough to find a love like I've seen in the movies. I will never fall in love again.

I keep trying to put Mickey in 1980's outfits that aren't ugly but they seem so modern because 80's seems to be coming back 😂
Next chapter is Tom leaving 😗✌️🤧😭🥺