Valentine's Day: Tom's Version

Valentine's Day 1990

My first Valentine's Day with Mickey was supposed to be special. Neither of us wanted to do anything big, considering my track-record with Valentine's Day, and because we were both wiped out by the recent trial of the century.

I know how important of a day this day is, especially for couples, but I can't stop thinking about how it's the day that my dad died. I try not to be a Debbie-Downer so I don't really talk about it. It's too painful, and not exactly a date-night topic.

Mickey spent the night last night. I woke up early this morning, laying over Mickey with my head on her bare stomach. I love her bed head. She hates it, but I love it. My body was resting between her legs, and she had her arm over her chest and I was holding her hand. I could feel her heart beating, and I focused on her breathing.

I had to head into work this morning, but she had the day off

I had to head into work this morning, but she had the day off. I was really careful getting off of her because I didn't want to wake her so early. I gently pulled the white comforter on top of her so she wouldn't get cold. What did I do to deserve her? I wish we could both be in the sheets, all tangled in the mess.

My idea of breakfast-in-bed was scrapped so instead I went out early to get the freshest roses for her to wake up to. I put them in a glass vase and set the bouquet on the kitchen counter, with a box of chocolates for her to eat with breakfast. She really likes chocolate. I also hand wrote a note for her. I told her how much she meant to me, how much I loved her, and how I couldn't wait to come home and show her. At the end, I told her that I wanted to take her to a nice restaurant tonight. I told her when I'd be picking her up, because we had a reservation.

My day consisted of going undercover at Garfield High as Tommy Kline. It was a simple drug bust, and we were done on time. I talked to Doug about what his Valentine's Day plans were, and he told me that he had none. He almost sounded like he wanted to guilt me to let him tag along with me and Mickey on our date, but I would be damned to let that happen.

I almost packed a change of clothes so I would be ready for our date when I got home, but I felt too stinky from chasing after kids all day so I decided to go home and take a shower. I shaved too. I didn't see Mickey's car in the usual spot in my apartment's parking lot, so I figured that she went back to her own place.

I got up to my apartment and took a thorough shower. I even used Mickey's hairdryer that she left in my bathroom to speed up the hair drying process. I put some product in it and styled it the way I wanted, and brushed my teeth. Once my pearly whites were sparkling, I changed my clothes and put on some of Mickey's favorite cologne.

I've never worn this suit for Mickey before, but I've always felt handsome in it. It's gray, with a black button up shirt. I left the first couple buttons open, because Mickey has told me that she likes that look on me, and it makes me feel more confident.

I left right on time, and drove to her building. I walked up to her apartment and remembered that I had her apartment key so I let myself in. I swung the door open gently and walked in. She was standing up from the couch, gazing at me alluringly.