Fear and Loathing with Russell Buckins

Based on episode "Fear and Loathing with Russell Buckins"
December 1987

"Did you hear about Penhall and Hanson?" Judy asked me after I asked why Doug and Tom left the chapel angrily yesterday.

"No," I said with a twinge of confusion. I sat down at my desk and placed my bag by my feet.

"They have to be recycled back to the Academy," she said while coming up to my desk.

"No way! Why?" I gasped and leaned back in my chair to fully soak in the gossip.

"They were assigned to catch a kid for racing, and Hanson actually raced him."

"Hanson?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yeah. He and Penhall both have to go back to the Academy."

"Hanson?" I repeated to make sure I heard her correctly.

"Yes!" She was just as shocked as I was.

"Not Penhall?"

I love the guys but out of all of them to do something so reckless and stupid, Doug would be the one to do it. Tom has usually been the one to play it safe, and Ioki always takes a logical approach to cases. Doug can be a little out of the box, so finding out that he had nothing to do with this drag race was shocking.

"No. He was sent back for acquiescence."

"But Tom is the most responsible one on the team," I said.

"Not anymore," Fuller said as he walked by. He called me, Ioki, and Judy into his office. Judy and I stood up from our chairs and followed him with Ioki right on our heels. My outfit felt very muted compared to Judy's hot pink jacket could be seen a hundred miles away, and Ioki was wearing an oversized black blazer. I had on brown jeans, a black t-shirt and a stormrider jean jacket. It's blanket lined so it's really nice since it's cold outside.

"I just got a call from the Academy," Fuller said as he sat back in his desk. "Hanson didn't show."

"Well, where is he?" Judy asked.

I saw the attitude in his face before he even said a word. "I don't know, Hoffs. That's why I called you in here. Find him now."

"Yes, sir." Judy nodded.

"Uh, Captain, what about the prelim in the Lavco case?" Ioki asked.

"What about it?"

"Well, Hanson and I got subpoenaed last week. The hearing's tomorrow."

Fuller grew frustrated as he threw his pencil on the desk. "Find Hanson."

This was a little more serious than we thought. If Tom doesn't show up for their hearing tomorrow, their case will have been for nothing and the guy they arrested will be released. He needs to show up for that hearing tomorrow, or he will be in huge trouble.

We got to the Academy and found Penhall wearing a gray sweat suit, laying on the gym floor while everyone else left.

"Hey, pull that head up, recruit," Ioki said loud enough for him to hear.

"Thank God." Doug got to his feet. "You've come to pull me out of here, right? I got a case I gotta deal with?"

"Sorry, Penhall," Judy said, "but we're on a Hanson hunt."

"Oh, great," Doug said, using his sweatshirt to wipe away some of his sweat. "Hanson screws up and I gotta pay for it again."

"Do you know where he is, Doug?" Judy asked.