Fake ID: Tom's Version

Tom's POV
1987

I've been with the team for about a week now, and I've worked on most of my assignments with Mickey. Jenko was right, we do work well together. We get along a lot better now, especially after our stake out assignment from last week. She's a great cop, and she's taught me more about being undercover than what I learned at the academy.

We all sat around the table in the squad room and Jenko said, "new assignments, listen up. Hanson, you're going to Kennedy High because we have word that it's a student who has been giving the fake ID's to students. I want you to see who it is."

"Okey-dokey," I nodded softly as I grabbed the file from Jenko's hands

"Okey-dokey," I nodded softly as I grabbed the file from Jenko's hands. He moved on to talking to Ioki about his case, so I flipped my folder open and I realized that I was going alone, which I've never done before. I didn't mind it, but I began to brainstorm a way for me to get Mickey on this case with me. I pulled it out of my ass, but I thought it was a pretty good excuse. When there was a lull, I looked up at Jenko and asked, "would it seem suspicious if I go alone?"

"What do you suggest?" Jenko asked, looking at me from across the table.

"I could bring someone with me," I suggested. I could feel everyone looking at me, then darting their eyes at Jenko as we all waited for his response.

"Like Penhall?" Jenko asked, gesturing to Doug who wasn't paying much attention to the conversation.

"I was thinking either Gregg or Hoffs," I said. I suggested Judy too because I didn't want to seem like I was hankering to bring Mickey with me. Because I wasn't. Besides, I knew that Judy wasn't going to be able to because she was in the middle of a different case and Mickey just finished one yesterday. "A girl really could throw them off the scent."

"That ain't a bad idea, newbie," Jenko said. I exhaled slowly, relieved that it worked and I didn't seem suspicious at all. Not that I had anything to be suspicious about.

"Well, I can't, I'm still caught up in the case over at Jackson," Judy said. I knew it. I felt a smile begin to emerge on my lips, so I scratched the side of my nose to cover it.

"You can have Gregg for one day." Jenko held up one finger at me. "Tomorrow she needs to be at Garfield High."

"What's going on at Garfield?" Mickey asked. She leaned back in her chair and I could see that she was wearing dark overalls with a brown long sleeve underneath.

"There's been a series of beatings around the school grounds, I need you to figure out who it is."

"Who are the targets?"

"You'll figure it out tomorrow. Today, I need you focused on this case with Hanson. You two have been working well together, I assume that you'll be in and out quickly."

She asked, "who am I today, then?"

"You... will be... Mickey Rooney. You have a bad attitude and you like to break the law. Good? Good." Jenko stood up from the table and started walking to the water cooler.