Tom and Mickey's First Sleepover: Tom's Version

October 1989

I woke up with a jolt one night because of a sharp knock coming from my living room. I knitted my eyebrows together as my eyes got used to being open, and they stung. My eyelids drifted closed as Mr. Sandman tried to overpower me again until I heard another knock and realized I wasn't dreaming.  

I yawned and I pulled my pink blanket from my bed and draped it over my shoulders. I was too tired to even think about who could be here at this hour. I slumped over to the front door and flicked the light on. I peeked through the peephole first before I opened it.

In an attempt for my eyes to not burn out of their sockets, I scrunched my face from the overhead light and blinked hard as I fully comprehended that Mickey was at my door

In an attempt for my eyes to not burn out of their sockets, I scrunched my face from the overhead light and blinked hard as I fully comprehended that Mickey was at my door. I had many questions, but I was far too tired to ask them coherently.

"Hey, I'm really sorry to drag you out of bed," Mickey said softly.

"No, no, it's—" I cleared my throat and leaned against the open door, "what's up?"

"Well, nothing really. I just, um, I keep hearing these weird noises in my apartment. I thought I might feel better if I slept here," Mickey said.

"You're hearing weird noises in your apartment. You got scared. So you come here," I reiterated to myself sleepily. I was trying to wake myself up more, but it was nearly impossible. I was afraid that I was going to pass out where I stood.

"Look, if it's a problem, I can—"

"No, no, ahem, it's not a problem. Come on in." I opened the door for her. She walked past me as I closed the door.

"Thanks. Again, I'm really sorry. I really didn't want to bother you."

"No, don't worry about it," I yawned, "let's go to my room."

I've stayed the night at her place a few times, and her at mine too. But that was when we were friends. Nothing was weird and we knew our place. Now that we are dating, I don't know what her limits are. Since the relationship is fairly new, I didn't want to push her and make her uncomfortable since we have never really talked about it.