Happy Anniversary

Tom's POV
February 27, 1990

I had just come back from El Salvador after trying to find Marta with Doug, but we found out that she was dead. Doug came home with Amalia's son, so his nephew. His name is Clavo, and he's a really cute and sweet kid. Doug is going to be a great uncle/guardian/father figure for him.

I was making waffles for me and Mickey to kick off the celebration of our first anniversary as a couple. Mickey and I don't live together yet, but she spends most nights at my apartment. I'm sincerely thinking about asking her to move in with me, but I've been waiting for us to have been together for a whole year, otherwise I think she would have said no. She has always been one to take it slow. I'll ask her after our perfect day, because I'm ready for the next step in our relationship. I've been ready for a long time.

I put a couple of the blueberry waffles on a plate and set it on a tray, along with a glass of orange juice and a little vase with a flower that I picked from our neighbors little garden. Don't tell him, because I've gotten in trouble for it before but Mickey loves them.

I brought the tray into the room and woke her up gently. She stirred slightly before her tired eyes pried open. When she saw me, she woke up more and she sat up. I placed the breakfast-in-bed tray on her lap and gave her a good-morning kiss.

"Happy anniversary," I said giddily.

"You didn't have to do this," she said as she yawned and rubbed her eye.

"I know. I wanted to," I smiled. She's so pretty when her morning hair is a mess.

"You wanna climb in with me and share?" She asked dreamily. "Maybe I can get you some dessert after."

I could physically feel my eyes light up. "Yes, please."

I jumped in bed and laid down beside her, and the moment I brought my hand up to her face to give her another kiss, the phone started to ring. She and I both groaned and I promised, "be back in thirty seconds."

I rolled off the bed painfully slow, which made Mickey laugh, and then I sprinted to the phone. Whoever was calling better have a good reason for interrupting us. I bumped into the table when fell to my knees and I ripped the receiver from the base and I put it to my head upside down. "Hanson," I greeted before I realized it was upside down. I fixed the phone and repeated, "Hanson."

"It's Fuller. I'm going to need you to come in today as soon as possible."

Shit.

"I took the day off, you approved my request last month," I reminded him.

"I know, but that case you had with Penhall and Gregg over at that detention center from last year... looks like more drugs are turning up over there."

"Shit," I mumbled.

"Shit is right. Now, I don't appreciate not knowing that you guys were going over there in the first place, but I'll let it slide if you, Gregg, and Penhall go back and finish the job. Hammer."

Last year, Mickey, Doug and I meddled around a detention center without Fuller knowing. It ended up back firing and they didn't believe me when I told them I was a cop. It was a whole big thing, and I ended up becoming the Hammer, which meant I got to control what drugs went in and out of the center.

"Not Gregg," I said, "she didn't do anything wrong. Penhall and I will go and fix things up."

"All right, that's fine. But I need it done fast," he said.

"Yes, sir."

When we hung up. I stayed by the phone for a minute, processing the fact that I was going to have to go back to work. I glumly shuffled back to the room and sighed. Mickey was pleasantly eating her waffle and she looked up to ask, "what was that about?"