The Westerburg High Massacre

April 1990

Last night I went to bed with Swayze snuggled by my side. Tom went out with the rest of the Jump Street guys for a night out on the town together, which they do pretty often. Booker was in town so they were going to meet him downtown for some bar hopping. Usually when they go out, Judy and I will get together for a girls-night. Our night was short, we just made popcorn and watched a movie and talked for a bit before she went home. It was hard for her to leave, she is in love with Swayze. Who isn't?

I briefly woke up when I heard the front door open. I accidentally left our bedroom door open so I heard everything. I heard Tom very quietly click the door closed and twist the lock slowly as to try not to make a noise so he didn't wake me up. His heavy shoes softly clomped on the hardwood until he reached the bedroom where it fell to the soft carpet.

I was too tired to stir or open my eyes, so I just listened to him get ready for bed. I could hear the sounds of fabric rubbing together as he took his clothes off and put on his pajama pants. The bed creaked as he slowly climbed into bed and carefully nested under the covers. I felt his arms wrap around me and he pulled me into him tenderly. He was warm, and I focused on his leisurely breathing. His hand reached up and gently played with my hair and massaged my head, which made me fall asleep.

When my dreaded alarm blasted, waking me up with a jump, I rolled over and slammed my hand down to turn it off. I rolled onto my back and glanced over on Tom's side of the bed and I only saw his pillow. My sleepy eyes closed and I whacked my limp hand over and didn't feel a body, just the covers and a flimsy mattress. I gripped the bedding that lay in his place and pulled it close to my head in an attempt to block out the morning sun.

Tom's internal clock usually gets him to bed early, so he can wake up early. He doesn't usually go out with the guys that late, so I half-expected him to still be in bed. I guess no matter how late he's out, he still manages to start his day before dawn.

It didn't bother me when I couldn't find him in the apartment as I was getting ready for work. He might have had to go into work early, or maybe he left his wallet in Ioki's car last night and had to go get it, or he decided to take advantage of this bright April morning and go for a run. I don't want to say that I don't care what he does, but I don't care what he does. I love him dearly but I don't need to know exactly what he's doing every second of everyday. That feels too controlling.

I didn't see Tom's car in the chapel parking lot. I shrugged it off and headed up the stairs. The sun felt warm against my cheeks but the wind blew cold. My eyes squinted from the bright sun reflecting against the puddles on the pavement from the light rain we got this morning, which reminded me that I need to get a new pair of sunglasses before summer comes.

I adore all the seasons in different ways, but spring has always been one I look forward to every year. The world is in bloom as nature revives and reinvigorates itself after the chilly winter months. The morning dew on fresh green grass, little fawns playing in the ever-growing fields, and the fragrant spring blossoms that carry a very romantic yet subtle, soft, sweet, musky, and floral scent through the crisp air all come together to create spring.

When the sun breaks through the wind and it warms my skin, my tongue yearns for the tang of lemonade and the sweetness of bananas and raspberries. I have been craving all things lemon ever since "spring forward". I want to pluck lemons off an abundant lemon tree on a bright sunny day, or pick the freshest lemons from a fruit cart on the Amalfi Coast while the warm summer breeze passes through my sundress. I want an outdoor market on my right, and the great blue shimmering ocean on my left where the horizon stretches endlessly. I want to make a pitcher of the sweetest iced lemonade to enjoy for an outdoor picnic. I want to make a smooth and silky lemon bar with bright lemon flavor. I even want to create a dense iced lemon loaf with a morning coffee. I desire lemons and the Italian coast.