So Close, Yet So Far

Narrator's POV
October 1990

Mickey's attention turned toward the front door when she heard the door swing open. Doug walked in with an excited Swayze, who came running in with so much energy. The tapping of his nails against the hard wood told Mickey that she needed to clip them soon.

Doug unclicked his leash and let him run to his mom on the couch. He jumped up and wiggled his little body around like jelly as Mickey laughed and pet him until he settled down. She looked to Doug who was kicking off his shoes and said, "thanks for taking him out."

"It's not a problem," Doug said. He plopped down on the couch and Swayze settled his head on Doug's lap. Doug chuckled and scratched behind Swayze's ears.

Doug looked toward Mickey and smiled. After Tom left, she lost her person and he lost his best friend. This made their friendship stronger. He briefly thought about becoming more, but then remembered when he kissed Judy and almost ruined their relationship and he didn't want to risk it with Mickey. He saw her more as a best friend or a younger sister anyway, but he loved her.

Mickey and Doug had been trying to get together frequently ever since Tom moved so they could support each other during this tough time. Tom was so important to both of them, and him leaving took its toll. Mickey had to learn how to put the light back into her eyes. Friday nights became weekly movie nights, and sometimes they would get lunch during the week. Fuller started giving them more assignments together, which made them closer, but they technically weren't partners.

"Did you pick one yet?" Doug asked. They were having a hard time deciding the movie for that night so the deal was that Doug would take Swayze outside to use the bathroom, and Mickey would pick the movie. She never liked deciding the movie.

"Yeah, I decided on Uncle Buck," Mickey said. She held the remote in her hand, ready to play the movie. She looked down at the bowl of freshly popped popcorn that she put on the coffee table and pushed it back so Swayze didn't try to eat it.

"I've heard that movie is really funny," he approved. He sniffed the air before following the delicious scent to the kitchen where he saw a batch of cookies cooling. He took one for himself before walking back to the living room. Mickey still bakes as a coping mechanism, and Doug loves it.

Swayze turned around and cuddled with Mickey which made her silently squeal and say in a low voice, "my little man... you are too cute."

Doug looked over and he chuckled, "where's your camera?"

"On the table," Mickey said while scratching Swayze's exposed stomach.

She moved her hand up to Swayze's chin, and then to the top of his head. She rubbed him gently as Doug silently got up and grabbed the polaroid camera that sat on the table. He came back and put the view-finder up to his eye and said, "say cheese."

"Cheese," Mickey said softly while smiling at the camera. The flash blinded her slightly, and Swayze's head popped up. Mickey kept rubbing his ears as Doug grabbed the film that popped out and put the camera back on the table.

The screen was showing the credits as the movie was starting, so Mickey and Doug leaned toward each other to wait for the picture to develop. When it did, Mickey saw herself smiling while snuggling with Swayze in her arms. His little tongue was out, and he looked like he was sleeping.

"I'll send this one to Tom," Mickey said and grabbed the photo from Doug's hand. She got up to put it on the table for the next letter she was going to send to Tom. She didn't want to forget.

When Tom moved to Virginia, he was instructed not to allow anyone from his life to contact him or tell anyone where he was going to be. He couldn't bring Mickey with him, but they broke a couple rules by giving her his new number and his address so they can send each other gifts and call whenever they can. Calling was difficult because he was either on a case or she was, and with the time difference they rarely were free at the same time.