Christmas '18

Mickey's POV
December 24, 2018

The warm glow from the indoor fairy lights to celebrate the glorious holiday season was the only source of light in the kitchen

The warm glow from the indoor fairy lights to celebrate the glorious holiday season was the only source of light in the kitchen. The soft glow brought the message of the holidays on a snowy Christmas night. I turned the stove off and grabbed the saucepan, and poured the delicious hot chocolate into two mugs. Topped with whipped cream and marshmallows, I grabbed the warm handles and carefully began walking to the couch.

There is a red plate on the coffee table, covered in carrots for Santa's reindeer and chocolate chip cookies for the jolly old man himself. The rest of the batch was in our Christmas cookie jar, pushed to the back of the counter so the kids can't get to it.

I smiled down at my husband as I handed him his mug of hot coco. I said in a low voice, "here you go."

"Thanks, Mama," Tom said, opening his arm to me.

I carefully sat down beside him, making sure not to spill any of my drink. I tucked my feet up onto the couch and leaned into him. I took a small sip of my hot coco, and admired the lit fireplace. Holly reeds and hidden mistletoe symbolize the season that we hold so dear in our hearts. Our stockings were hung by the fireplace with care, and our beautiful green Christmas tree was decorated in red ornaments and tinsel, and provided a sense of nostalgia and comfort that one can only obtain in the holiday season.

It was a long, yet fulfilling day. We spent the day playing in the fluffy snow, which included snowball fights and sledding down the biggest hill in town with our beautiful family. The cold temperatures did not hold a candle to the warmth in our hearts.

It was nearly midnight on Christmas Eve, and all the pressures of the holiday season floated away like the soft snowflakes that fell outside our window. I tried to listen for the thud of reindeer walking on the roof. Mother Nature wore a bridal gown, for the world was dressed in pure white. I couldn't see the garden outside because of the fresh blanket of snow on the ground. Jack Frost was tapping at the window, but our fireplace was refusing to let him come in. It was burning bright, crackling and shining softly on me and Tom in a warm yellow glow. Everything was perfect.

Bing Crosby played gently in the background of our home, quietly and relaxing enough that the kids wouldn't be able to hear it and try to sneak downstairs. I gazed out the window, watching as the soft snowflakes fell past the glass. Candles that were burning low reflected dimly against the window. I was too content, too tired to speak. I took a sip of my hot coco, letting the drink warm my soul from the inside out. I cherish the little things.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by Frank Sinatra began to play, blending with the sounds of the cold wind that blew outside. The smell of cookies and the peppermint from our oil diffuser blended together perfectly to create the aroma of Christmas all through our beautiful home.

Tom set his mug on the coffee table and offered me his hand. I took one last sip of mine before I set it down, and took his hand in mine. We rose up together, and he gently lifted his arm up, encouraging me to twirl under him. I giggled and he pulled me close, and we began slowly dancing to the song that we have listened to throughout our entire relationship. It had become tradition that we dance to this song every Christmas Eve. Every time I hear this song, I think of Tom.