Dating a Drug Dealer

April 1989

I got my new assignment from Fuller in the morning. Tom and I were paired together to stop some drug dealers from Angelwood High School. This assignment was going to be handled a little differently than usual, Fuller thought it would be a good idea if I played a romantic role in the bust. I was assigned to be the main drug dealers girlfriend.

This assignment was a pretty long one because I had to earn the trust of Ritchie West, the main drug dealer of Angelwood High. He transferred his freshman year from New York, so I said I did too to develop the initial connection. Once we became official around the school, our plan could really get going. Ritchie recruited me to sell the drugs, so I would take the drugs that he gave me and turn them into Fuller. Fuller would give me a wad of cash to give to Ritchie, and that cycle kept going. This is all so he could trust me enough to introduce me to the supplier. That's when Tom and I could make our bust.

One day during school, I was talking with Tom in the main area of the building when Ritchie came marching up behind me. With no warning, he grabbed Tom by his brown leather jacket and started yelling at him.

Ritchie is very tall, with short clean-cut brown hair and a blue varsity jacket. He had a hot temper and very easy to anger, and he was captain of the wrestling team.

"Ritchie! What are you doing?!" I asked, interrupting him. People were stopping to watch and see if a fight was going to break out. But Tom is a professional, he would never throw a punch—especially to a student— while he is undercover.

"That's my girlfriend!" He yelled at Tom's face

"That's my girlfriend!" He yelled at Tom's face. Tom glared at him, and I could not tell if he was glaring as Tom Hanson or Tommy Cusack.

"He's just a friend," I said to Ritchie. I tugged at his arm and begged him to let Tom go.

He spat at me, "I don't care," then he turned to Tom and said, "you stay away from her."

"Loud and clear," Tom said.

"Come on, babe, let's go." He let go of Tom and wrapped his arm around me and we walked off. I looked back at Tom who looked frazzled, and I felt terrible about not being able to really do anything about it. We both had to keep our cover.

I didn't see Tom for the rest of the day. I got more drugs from Ritchie and took them back to Fuller after school to exchange for some cash. I didn't see Tom there either, but I hoped he was following his own leads.

The next day, I saw Tom at lunch. I was walking with Ritchie to the lunch table and I locked eyes with Tom. He was eating alone, and he raised his eyebrows when he saw me and looked down.