Tom After Dentist

"Hey, babe?" Tom called out from the bathroom as he brushed his teeth in the morning.

"Yeah?" I asked from the couch, leaning against the arm of the chair and reading a book. I was wearing casual clothes of baggy jeans and a plain white shirt, but I had a red blanket over my legs because I was a little cold.

"You know how I was having tooth pain last week?" He asked and I heard him spit in the sink and run the water to rinse it.

"Yeah?" I asked. His tooth pain hadn't really gone away yet, but I remembered him telling me about it on Easter.

He walked out to the living room and said, "apparently it was my wisdom teeth."

"Your wisdom teeth? You didn't have them taken out yet?"

"No, they didn't want to unless it started hurting me. I made an appointment to get them taken out," he revealed.

"For when?" I asked. I put my book down.

"Now. Can you drive me?"

"Oh. Now? Oh, yeah. Okay," I said and hopped up from the couch. I put Swayze in our bedroom so he couldn't get into anything in the living room while we were gone. Luckily I was already dressed so I just had to slip on my shoes and grab my keys.

I drove Tom to the dentist and his leg was shaking anxiously as we waited in the waiting room. He really hates the dentist, so I could only imagine how he felt knowing that he had to be put under.

"You nervous?" I asked him. I put my hand out and he held it.

"A little. I've never been put under before. Unless you count when I got that bullet dug out of my ass."

"You'll do fine," I promised, "I got mine out a few years ago."

"You did? Who picked you up?"

"Jenko did," I said. I got my wisdom teeth out right after I graduated high school.

"What was it like?" He asked.

"They put the IV in, ask you to count down from ten... then when you hit seven, you wake up at home. It goes by so fast, you'll be home before you know it," I promised.

"Okay... can you promise me one thing?"

"Name it," I said.

"Don't let them take me out in a wheelchair."

"I'll try," I chuckled.

The door opened and a nurse came out. She looked at her clipboard and said, "Tom Hanson?"

"Good luck," I said and pushed him off.

The nurse that came to get him promised that he would be out in about 45 minutes. The nurse gave me a list of foods that Tom can eat while recovering, so during the time he was in surgery I ran to the store and bought the foods on the list. It was soft foods like Jell-o, pudding, bananas, yogurt, mashed potatoes, applesauce, oatmeal, and broth.

Almost as soon as I stepped into the waiting room after dropping the groceries off at home, the nurse came out and said that Tom was waiting for me in recovery. I followed her to the room and saw Tom was leaning back in a chair, with bloody gauze poking out of his swollen mouth.

"Hey, Tom," I said sweetly as I walked into the recovery room.

"Hey, Mickey! Patricia, this is my girlfriend Mickey. Hi, Mickey," he mumbled groggily through the gauze.

"He's been asking for you," the blonde nurse said to me. I assumed this was Patricia.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, traffic coming back from the store was terrible. How are you doing?" I asked him and gently rubbed his arm.