Court Date

February 1990

Being a cop, going to trials of the men and women that you bust is part of the job description. You are supposed to show up, give your testimony, then be on your way. I have had to go to the trial of every single person I have ever arrested, otherwise they can walk right out of the court house. I've never missed one. It's routine.

I wore a gray skirt and black stockings with a purple silk shirt under my matching gray blazer. I read through the copy of my report once again, just to throughly remember everything that happened. I make so many arrests, it eventually starts to blur together. But this was one of the most high-profile cases I've ever done that was not a serial killer. This is what the media dubbed as the Run Away Bus. Robert Kemper, my English partner, had taken control over the bus and had it drive off a cliff, with the intent to kill 47 students, me, and the bus driver in the process. I was his arresting officer, so I was supposed to be there.

Fuller was very upset that this case was so high-profile, because it could jeopardize my ability to go undercover in the future. Luckily, he managed to get it not to be televised. But, he wanted to attend to ensure my animosity.

I looked at myself in the mirror of the courthouse bathroom one more time as I make sure there was no mascara in my eyelid, and no wrinkles on my outfit. I fluffed my blown-out hair before I walked out and found the court room. I snuck in with everyone because the trial was about to begin.

I took my seat on a bench in the gallery and watched as Robert Kemper came and took his place in the defending stand. He wore an orange jail jumpsuit, with his hands shackled in front of him.

"All rise. The court is now in session, the Honorable Tucker Brown presiding," the Bailiff said.

The judge came out and said, "please be seated."

Everyone sat down at the same time and he looked over his papers, and I knew that a copy of my report was among them.

"This is the matter of Evergreen State versus Robert Kemper," Judge Brown announced.

"Mr. Kemper is in court and we're ready for motions," Roberts lawyer said. I've seen him before. Steve Thorpe. He's a real asshole. I was surprised that he took this case, because it was destined to fail. He's one of the best attorney's I've ever seen, so I figured he would be smarter than to be on his side. Why was he on the defendant side anyway?

"Very well, call your first witness," Judge Brown said.

"Evergreen State calls Officer Michelle Gregg," the assistant district attorney, Yvonne Uribe, said. She was wearing a blue pants suit. I've talked with her a few times, she is really nice and professional.

It was my time to shine.

I stood up and walked to the Bailiff. I put my hand on the Bible and the other up.

He asked, "do you solemnly affirm that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth under the pains and penalties of perjury?"

"I do," I swore.

I walked up to the witness stand and sat down. I cleared my throat and put my hands in my lap, feeling the soft fabric of my wool skirt underneath my fingertips. I looked up and saw Fuller standing toward the back of the room, leaning against the wall. The entire courtroom was packed, and I could almost hear the buzzing noise of the reporters outside the walls. They weren't allowed in, because of me.

"Could you please state your name for the record?" Yvonne asked.

"Officer Michelle Gregg," I said into the microphone.