School Bus Kidnapping

Based on Chowchilla School Bus Kidnapping of 1976

June 1990

Fuller took me off of Vice for the summer to go on a case as a McQuaid. The nearby high school was holding a summer camp for young students, and a summer drug class for students caught with drugs or alcohol throughout the school district was being held at the other side of the building. Strange combination, but I was slipping in just to see how this situation was working out. The school thinks I received a DUI during the school year, which is why I'm attending this program. This also means I have to take the school bus.

When I was first given this assignment, Tom was very against it. He practically pleaded Fuller to switch assignments with me, and when Fuller asked me about it, I refused. I can't be afraid of school buses forever, and this is my career. It involves facing my traumas and making sacrifices. And the odds of anything happening on a school bus ever again are one in a billion. I'll be fine.

Without my knowledge, Tom made a deal with Fuller. He had planned to join me on the bus before going to his own case. I didn't know this until Tom sat beside me the first day of my assignment. I was annoyed at first, but I really enjoyed his company. He kept my mind from running amok.

A couple weeks into the case, Tom and I were sitting beside each other towards the back of the bus. Kids around us were giggling after having a fun day at summer camp and showing one other the crafts they made. Tom and I were smiling, soaking in their innocence and pure joy.

"They're so cute," I said softly. This was not a sentence I said often. I usually found children to be obnoxious and gross. These ones, however, have shockingly grown on me.

"Yeah, they are. Did you see that little one, Monica, gave me a macaroni necklace?" He asked and picked the necklace off his neck. It was made of dry macaroni noodles with lots of glue and colorful glitter. "Adorable."

I giggled, "yeah. She's really sweet."

"She really is. Ever think about having kids?"

"What?" I asked.

"Not now, but later. Do you want kids at some point?" He asked.

I only had to think about it for a second and my lips cracked into a smile at the thought of having his children. "Why? You want to have a baby?"

He smiled. "Yeah. Yeah, I do."

The tiniest bit of hope that snuck into my heart dropped and I said lowly, "I wouldn't be a very good mom."

"What are you talking about?" Tom asked. "You'd be a great mom."

I scoffed. "No, I wouldn't. What if... what if I hurt it or—or leave it..."

"You won't." Tom's voice was sincere. He held my hand and he said, "you're gonna be a great mom. The fact that you are scared of being a bad mom just proves that you'll do everything you can to be the best mom."

I smiled sweetly. "Thanks, Tom."

Tom leaned and kissed the side of my head. I closed my eyes and smiled, almost imagining the kids laughing and talking around us were ours. That will never happen either, because Tom will soon leave and I'm not sure what will happen between us once he is gone. I am scared.

"Only if they behave like these ones. If I have a bratty kid, I'll never bring it out in public," I joked.

Tom laughed and was still holding my hand as he said, "don't worry, I think we will raise it right."

My shoulder bumped his when the bus driver pulled out from the bus stop after dropping off one of the kids. I felt bad that Tom had to get up early just to ride the bus with me, so I said, "you know, you don't have to babysit me on the bus anymore."