Fake ID

April 1987

"New assignments, listen up," Jenko said to us. We all gathered around the table as he handed out files to each of us. "Hanson, you're going to Kennedy High because we have word that it's a student who has been giving the fake ID's to students. I want you to see who it is."

There had been a wave of minors getting caught with fake IDs around town, and after attempting to get businesses around town to sell us fake IDs, we ultimately figured out that it is probably a student who is making them out of the back of their car.

"Okey-dokey

"Okey-dokey." Tom nodded softly as he grabbed the file from Jenko's hands. He looked up at Jenko and asked, "would it seem suspicious if I go alone?"

"What do you suggest?" Jenko asked, looking at Tom from across the table.

"I could bring someone with me," Tom said.

"Like Penhall?" Jenko asked, gesturing to Doug who wasn't paying attention.

"I was thinking either Gregg or Hoffs," Tom said. I shot my head up and raised my eyebrows after hearing my name. "A girl really could throw them off the scent."

"That ain't a bad idea, newbie," Jenko said.

"Well, I can't, I'm still caught up in the case over at Jackson," Judy said, tapping her pencil on the table rhythmically.

"You can have Gregg for one day." Jenko held up one finger. "Tomorrow, she needs to be at Garfield High."

"What's going on at Garfield?" I asked.

"There's been a series of beatings around the school grounds, I need you to figure out who it is."

"Who are the targets?"

Jenko was about to open his mouth to answer but then he stopped himself and instead said, "you'll figure it out tomorrow. Today, I need you focused on this case with Hanson. You two worked well together last time, I assume that you'll be in and out quickly."

I did not get a say if I wanted to do this assignment, because fake IDs are usually a one man operation but two was not unheard of, especially since Tom is still new. I asked, "who am I today then?"

"You... will be... Mickey Rooney. You have a bad attitude and you like to break the law. Good? Good." Jenko stood up from the table and started walking to the water cooler.

"I have some thoughts about that name," I said as I got up to follow him.

"It's better than Mouse," Jenko said over his shoulder. "No one is going to get it."

"I'd pick her out as a cop right away," Doug said, tossing a peanut in the air and catching it in his mouth.

"Me too," Ioki said.

Tom scratched his chin. "I think my six year old cousin could too."

"Fine, fine—" Jenko turned around and threw his hands up in the air "—pick your own. Don't go off your backstory though. Understood?"