Jail Bird Tom

Inspired by the episode Draw the Line
September 1989

The summer months went flying by and we all returned to Jump Street when school got back in session. I missed it, and I missed my friends and teammates. My first assignment was investigating the cafeteria at a high school due to the high rates of food poisoning. It wasn't an interesting case, but I thought it was fun. However, not all of us had a good first month back.

Ioki got shot by a gang in a drive-by. I drove straight to the hospital as soon as I found out. He was sedated, so I just sat in his room to keep him company until the nurses kicked me out. It was so hard to see him connected to so many wires in a hospital bed. I felt so helpless just seeing him like that. The only peace of mind I had was that he was stable. It made me wonder if I made my teammates feel like this when I got shot a year ago.

Fuller called me to express some bad news about my partner. He told me first, but he said that he was going to contact the rest of the team about one of our teammates recent incarceration. When we hung up, I received another call from Booker about it. We talked and as soon as we hung up, I grabbed my keys and drove straight to the jail.

After signing into the main office and giving up my badge, my gun, and everything else in my pockets, I was escorted through the row of cells by a tall guard. Inmates were pressing their faces up to the bars as I walked past, whistling and making derogatory comments directed toward me that I tried to ignore.

"I'll wait for you, baby! I'll wait for you!" One inmate called out to me.

"I'll be out soon, I'll find you!"

"Oh, looky looky!" Another hollered.

"Does anyone smell bacon?!"

"Skin the pig! Skin the pig!" A few were chanting.

"Ugh," I rolled my eyes and kept walking confidently. How did they know I was a cop? It took me a second to realize that they weren't chanting that because of me, but because of the cop who was in their jail. My favorite black trench coat floated behind me, and I could faintly hear the fabric of my loose black pant legs rubbing against each other as I walked.

The cop finally stopped in front of a cell and said, "Hanson, there's someone here for you."

I peered between the bars and saw that Tom was dressed in a denim blues prison uniform and was reading a magazine while laying on his bed. He looked up at me and got out from his bunk and walked up to the bars.

"Mickey, what are you doing here?" He asked me

"I'm here to see why the hell you are on that side of these bars," I said and shoved my hands in my pockets. I already knew why. I had a long talk with Booker about it before I got here.

"They think I shot Buddy," Tom said in a low voice.

Bud Tower was a cop, partners with Frank Ferrell of the Metro Police Department. Tom went undercover with a gang which ended in him being found guilty of murdering the cop, Bud. There was a trial that almost all of us had to go up on the witness stand and testify for Tom. Despite our best efforts, he was found guilty, and put in jail.