Homecoming Dance

September 1988

I walked into Fullers office and knocked gently. I saw that Tom was already in a chair and I asked, "you wanted me?"

"Yeah, you and Doug. Where is he?" Fuller asked.

I looked behind me and saw that Doug was just getting into the chapel. I put my fingers between my lips and whistled loudly, which got his attention. When his eyes caught with mine, I waved him over.

"How's it going, coach?" Doug asked as he came into the office.

"As you all know, Judy has been at Lincoln High for a couple weeks now. It's almost homecoming time, and last year they had arrested seventeen students for DUI's on homecoming night. Six of them resulted in fatal crashes. It's your job to attend the dance as students, and be on the look out for intoxicated kids so we can keep them from driving home."

"Okey-dokey." Tom nodded from the seat.

"I can't imagine what it's like at prom," I said. I remember my own prom being crazy, someone got arrested every year.

I looked down at Tom and noticed that he was in attire that made me think he was going undercover as a McQuaid. The graphic t-shirt, ripped jean vest, that red zip-up sweatshirt, and his crazy hair gave it away.

Doug noticed it too. "Is Doug McQuaid reporting for duty?"

"Yes, he is," Fuller chuckled and handed Doug and Tom their packets. Tom let out a joyful exclaim, taking the folder from Fuller. He loved being Tom McQuaid. I thought it was cute how excited he always got.

"Tom, I want you and Doug to get in with the rougher kids and see if they're planning on bringing alcohol to the dance

"Tom, I want you and Doug to get in with the rougher kids and see if they're planning on bringing alcohol to the dance. Homecoming is in a couple of weeks, so you guys have some time," Fuller said.

"Why are we going so early?" I asked as I was handed my folder.

"I want you to seem like real students, and get the kids to trust you. Time is really the only way to do that in this scenario." Fuller checked his watch. "All right. We good?"

"We're good," Tom said.

"Great. Head to Lincoln, and I will check in with you guys later. I need all those kids getting home safe."

I took my folder and opened it as I walked out of the office. Mickey Montana... Scarface. My role in this bust was to get the inside scoop on the more popular kids of Lincoln, while the McQuaids deal with the rougher crowd. Judy got a layout of the students already, and Ioki is supposed to blend in with everyone and act as background.

I went through my bag, which I have multiple outfits in preparation for anyone I am supposed to be for a new assignment. I don't like using clothes from wardrobe, because they rarely get washed and don't fit very well and I've worked here long enough to have gathered my own attire. I decided to go more of a preppy route, so I grabbed my pink plaid skirt with a white button-up tucked into it. I looked in the mirror and fluffed my hair a bit before running out the door.