Growing Out Of Jump Street?

April 1990

Tom and I had been hiding in the bushes of a neighborhood for hours. We were staking out in an upper class neighborhood in one of the districts upstate. We have done a few stakeouts in the past together, and they were always pretty fun because we were able to talk and we don't have to pay super close attention to the assignment. It's pretty difficult to completely ignore the one thing we were paying attention to.

We were just on the look out of a kid and see if he has been sneaking out of his house. He may be connected to a string of robberies in the area. If he doesn't leave his house and there's another robbery tonight, then he's innocent.

The days may be getting warmer but the nights were still chilly, especially in Metropolis. I prepared for this case by wearing baggy black jeans and my old faithful Stormrider denim jacket that keeps me warm with the blanket lining. It's just a really thick jacket so it's difficult to move in when I'm wearing it.

When I looked over at Tom, I gazed into his eyes and he seemed like he had something on his mind other than the assignment, and other than me. This puzzled me, but I tried not to let it distract me. When there was a lull in our conversation, Tom asked, "how do you feel at Jump Street?"

"What do you mean?" I asked. I moved a branch out of my way so I could see the dark house a little better.

"I mean, do you still like it?"

"Of course," I said, "it's home."

"You've been here for... what? Four years now? Five? Don't you want to move on?" He asked.

"No," I replied with a frown, "why?"

"I just... I just think there's more to police work than this. I love it, but I think I am getting too old for Jump Street. And I've outgrown being a McQuaid."

I was a little taken back by his comment

I was a little taken back by his comment. It was one of the first times he has mentioned this to me. That feeling I got a while ago that something was going to happen between us came back full force which made my stomach churn. Was he going to leave? He has been here the least amount of time as the rest of us on the team, so I was surprised that he was tired of it already.

I looked back up at Tom, scanning his face. The memory of when I first met him at the chapel was etched in my brain. I compared it to what he looked like now, and he does look more mature. I thought he still looked young enough to pass as a high schooler though.

He continued with an emptiness in his voice, "I just feel so much older than the sixteen or seventeen year olds that we bust. It's like we are setting them up to fail. And I'm just... so tired of watching children die."

"Maybe Fuller can put you on more college cases?" I suggested. "Maybe you'd feel less guilty if they're more your age."

"I don't know, I don't think that will help. Don't get me wrong, I really do love it here," he said, "but I have been itching for something new."

I nodded with a sigh. "I get it."

I could understand where he was coming from. There is not a lot of change at Jump Street, which might drive some people out of here if they could handle the pressure. Tom could certainly handle the pressure, but maybe it wasn't enough for him. I love Tom but sometimes he can be naturally impatient and restless, which becomes evident when he is seeking novelty and expresses his disdain for monotony. He has a need for new adventures.

"Maybe I'll quit the force all together," he said with a shrug. "I don't know."

"Whatever you decide to do, I'll fully support you," I said. It would suck to have Tom actually leave, but at least I'll still come home to him every day.

"If I left Jump Street, would you come with me?" He asked. The leaves on the bushes shook slightly when he turned to me.

My eyes bugged at that question. I darted my eyes between Tom and the house as I stammered, "I-uh... I've never thought about leaving."

"But would you? Hypothetically."

"Hypothetically?" I asked, "well then, hypothetically, where would you go?"

"I've been looking into the 16th Precinct," he said. He hesitated before he continued, "or go into the Drug Enforcement Administration."

"The DEA?" I asked. "I thought you told them no." 

The DEA is a law enforcement agency under the Department of Justice that combats drug trafficking and distribution within the United States. It was founded fairly recently, under Nixon in '73. You have to be a special agent to work at a DEA.

"They offered me the job again," Tom said. He turned back to the house and said, "it's just a thought," and lifted the binoculars up to his eyes and pointed them at the house.

I didn't know what to say

I didn't know what to say. I wished that he told me about this option earlier, because I felt like I was left in the dark. We may not be married, but I always thought that our lives merged together when I moved into his apartment. I guess he didn't want to bring it up until it was a solid option for him. Is he seriously considering it?

A few minutes later, we were relieved from duty for the night. Judy and Ioki took our spots, and Tom and I walked to our cars in the dark. He walked me to my car and I unrolled the window as I turned on my engine. He leaned into my car with his elbows resting in the empty space after the window disappeared.

"I love you, I'll see you soon," he said and we kissed.

He walked to his car, and I couldn't stop thinking about what we talked about in the bushes. After he shut his car door, I opened mine and jogged up to his door. I knocked on the window softly with my knuckle, and Tom turned back at me with a confused look on his face. He unrolled his window and asked, "hey, what's up?"

 He unrolled his window and asked, "hey, what's up?"

"I'm sorry. I just can't get what you said out of my head... you'll let me know if you decide to leave, right?" I asked, shoving my hands in my pockets.

"Yeah," Tom reassured with a nod, "of course I'll tell you."

Those simple words were enough to relieve my anxiety about the whole situation. I nodded and let out a sigh. "All right. I'll see you at home."

"Mmhm, drive safe," he smiled at me.

I leaned down to give him a kiss through the open window, then I went back to my car.