Can I Have This Dance?

Outdoor weddings are my favorite. I stood near my team, wearing a cobalt blue dress with puffy sleeves sporting fluffy hair and a glass of cucumber water in my hand. Jump Street has multiple teams that Fuller oversees, and one of the officers of one of those other teams was getting married! He invited everyone from the chapel, so of course we all went.

Everyone was dressed formally. All the guys were in nice suits, and the girls wore fancy dresses. I always liked seeing everyone in formal attire, because it is so different from what we all wear for work. It's fun to get dressed up for special occasions.

While at the reception, we all watched happily as Officer Ben Dallas took the dance floor to have his first dance with his new wife. I sat at a table with Judy, Tom, Doug, Ioki, and Fuller. I was enjoying some finger sandwiches while champagne was being popped and poured around me. Once the song was over, everyone was invited to dance to the fun and upbeat song, Every Breath You Take by The Police.

I stood up and walked to the refreshment table to get myself another cucumber water. Everyone was enjoying themselves, drinking, dancing, laughing, and creating unforgettable memories with the beautiful bride and groom. There was an open bar, so there was a bartender going around and refilling everyone's drinks.

The song ended and switched to a slower song, Endless Love. Tom made his way from our table up to me toward the back of the venue. He had just finished his flute of champagne and set it on a nearby table. He offered me his hand and asked me to dance with him.

"I'm good," I tried to wave him off, holding my sweating glass of water in my hand.

His face dropped because he was almost offended and he asked, "why?"

"I don't dance," I said honestly.

"But we have before," he said, referring to that one night at a restaurant when I was receiving threatening letters, and when we were at that homecoming dance. Tom had danced with me that night, because he just knew that something was wrong. Tonight, it's just for fun.

"That's wasn't me," I stated, "that was Mickey Montana."

"Mick," he stated annoyedly.

"I'm shy," I chuckled nervously.

He laughed, "lies."

I chuckled again, "I'm serious. I don't dance. I'm from that town in Footloose."

"Can I have this dance? Please? Just this once?" He asked, still holding out his hand to me.

I almost gave in, but then I said, "I don't even know what to do."

"Take my hand." He gave the first step, and after I accomplished it he said, "now take a breath, honey."

I took a deep breath and he took a step to pull me in close. With my hand resting in his, I felt a surge of power so divine. I shot my eyes up to his with butterflies in my stomach. I hoped he felt it too. He took my water from my hand and placed it on the nearest table without our eye contact breaking. He instructed, "I'll be your Valentino, just for you. Keep your eyes locked on mine, and just let the music be your guide."

And your eyes, your eyes, your eyes,
They tell me how much you care,
You will always be,
My endless love

"Just keep looking at me. No one else matters," he said gently. He smelled heavenly, like vanilla smoke melts iced coffee.

We swayed to the music, and I followed Tom's lead. Keeping my eyes locked to his reminded me that finding someone like him was one in a million. There was a moment of magic between us. Seeing his loving face made my heart so happy. With every step I took with him, it felt like another step closer to him emotionally. As we moved together, I knew that he is all I will ever need.