Long Day

Mickey's POV

I sat at my desk with the only noise that filled the church was the sound of Doug pounding away at the punching bag we have hanging in the corner of the chapel. His rhythmic grunting was distracting me from filling out the paperwork I needed to finish. I was supposed to run to the District Attorney's office before they closed for the night. They needed it before tomorrow, because tomorrow there is a court date scheduled for a student I recently arrested.

Tom, Doug, and I were the only ones left in the chapel. The sky was dimming, and everyone had gone home for the day. Doug was burning off energy, Tom was at his desk, and I was desperate to finish this paperwork so I wouldn't be stuck here all night. Paperwork is so time consuming.

"Hey, man, can you grunt a little less loudly?" I called out to Doug after trying to focus.

"Not my fault you waited to do your paperwork until last minute!" He called back without stopping his punching.

"I was in court all day!" I defended.

"Stop making so many busts then!" He said between his grunts.

I groaned and noticed something moving in the corner of my eye. I turned to see that Tom was making strange motions with his fingers. He was sitting back in his chair at his desk, looking down at his hands as he continued to put them in weird positions.

"What are you doing?" I asked him. I rubbed my palm on the knee of my green jeans with a patch on the pocket, and I also wore a cream collared shirt made of the softest fabric. I had put my black leather jacket on a couple hours ago when I thought I was close to leaving the chapel, maybe I should take it off since I'm not going to leave soon.

"Practicing gang signs for my assignment tomorrow." He stuck his tongue out slightly as he did another gang sign, flicking his hand in my direction. I don't know much about gang signs, because Fuller usually puts the gang assignments on the guys.

"Is that code for a sex thing?" I joked

Tom shrugged. "I don't know. It could be."

I chuckled softly, wishing I could be put on a new assignment too. But, I had to clean up the ones I've already completed by finishing this paperwork and going to two more court dates scheduled for this week. Once all that was over, I'd be able to take on another case.

Tom dropped his hand and asked, "you all right?"

"Yeah," I said and turned back to my papers, "just got a lot on my plate." I checked my watch and saw how late it was getting. There was no way I could finish the paperwork and drive all the way to the District Attorney's office before they close for the day. "Oh, shit."