Night on the Corner

"Internal affairs?" I asked Judy, "Dennis Booker is from Internal Affairs?"

"He was here to investigate Jump Street," Judy said to me as we sat at our desks. She was gossiping to me about a cop who came undercover to Jump Street just the other week. I had yet to meet him, but Tom had called me while I was on vacation just to complain about him.

"What are we doing wrong?" I asked as I popped a popcorn piece in my mouth. I had my feet kicked up on my desk and I leaned back in my chair.

"They think we are entrapping kids," Judy said with an eye roll.

"Wow... I take a two week vacation and everything has gone to pot!" I chuckled and flicked another piece in the air and caught it with my tongue.

"Speaking of, Penhall moved to work in intelligence," she revealed.

"You're joking," I said with big eyes.

"Scouts honor," Judy said, "Hanson and Booker had a pretty big case last week too."

"Wish I coulda met him," I said with a slight pout. I wanted to meet the guy that Tom loathed so much. He can't be that bad.

"Look alive, Gregg," Fuller said as he strutted to his office with a purpose and a white mug of hot coffee in his hand. "My office."

I kicked my feet off my desk and put my popcorn bowl up and followed him into his office while tightening my ponytail. I closed the door behind me, and he told me to sit down.

"What's up, coach?" I asked him as I sat in the chair.

"How was your vacation?" He asked genuinely.

"Good," I said. I took two weeks off shortly after my birthday because I really needed a break, both physically and mentally. It was more like a stay-cation since I didn't go anywhere. "I'm well rested and ready to get back to work."

"Glad to hear it," he said and reorganized some papers on his desk.

The office door opened and a guy I've never seen before entered. He was tall with messy dark hair, and a smolder carved into his handsome face. He had multiple earrings, and his brown eyes lingered on me for a little too long. He wore a tight black tank top, and a cigarette dangled out of his mouth that he lit. If this is the guy from Internal Affairs, I would be shocked.

"Officer Gregg, this is Detective Dennis Booker," Fuller introduced us

"Booker," I greeted as I stood up and shook his hand firmly. "Pleasure."

"I've heard a lot about you, Gregg," Booker said with a cocky smile that almost made me swoon. I'm not one to judge someone quickly, but he did not seem like he was a cop at all.

Fuller frowned at him and said, "there's no smoking in the chapel, Booker."

Booker's downturned eyes moved swiftly from Fuller to me. He stepped up to the desk, leaning near me and he shoved the lit cigarette down against the ashtray. I didn't even realize that Fuller had an ashtray on his desk until now. The smoke came out of Booker's nose and he said by me, "won't happen again, sir."