Illegal Gambling Practice

Mickey's POV

I sat at my desk with my pen bouncing in my hand. I was just trying to pass the time to find the right moment to go into Fuller's office to ask him a question about a case.

Tom was the last to arrive for work. When the door opened, I glanced up and noticed a large paper bag in his hands. I didn't really care so I went back to my paper.

"Guess what?" Tom asked loudly.

"What?" Doug immediately asked.

"What?" Ioki and Judy asked at the same time.

I looked at him, waiting for his announcement, but instead he chuckled. Then he said, "I couldn't help but notice that a few of you didn't say 'what' after I asked 'guess what'. You didn't even try. Now, I'm not gonna call you out, because that's embarrassing. But, you know..." his eyes rolled to mine and he kept the intense eye contact with me. "Some of us... could have acted a little more excited."

"Cold, Mick. At least pretend to be excited for the guy," Doug stated.

I dramatically gasped and defended myself by saying, "he has a brown paper bag, what am I supposed to be excited about?"

"It's not about the bag, it's about what is inside the bag." Tom ran his hand over the bag as if he was rubbing a genie lamp.

"Okay, okay, Hanson, what's in the bag?" Judy asked.

Tom excitedly opened the bag and lifted out a plate of cookies. He placed it on the counter of our little mini kitchen on the other side of the chapel with a beaming face.

"What's this for?" Doug asked as he made his way to the plate.

"I made 'em," Tom said proudly.

"Yeah, but what for?" Doug already had a mouthful of the chocolate chip cookie.

"Do I have to have a reason other than to show off my mad baking skills?" Tom asked.

Doug swallowed and said, "yes."

"Just enjoy the baked goods," Tom stated and swiped one for himself.

I chuckled at their antics and stood up to head over to Fuller's office. When I walked past the cookies, Tom asked, "hey, hey, hey, where are you going?"

I turned back to look at him with my fist raised up to the door. I said, "I gotta talk to Fuller."

"What about my cookies?"

"I'll have one right after, I promise."

He smiled softly. "Okay."

I quickly knocked on the door and I welcomed myself into Fuller's office while he was sitting at his desk and filling out paperwork. He looked up at me and said, "Gregg, come on in."

I closed the door behind me and walked up to his desk. I smiled pleasantly and said, "I heard that you are still deciding who to assign to Atlantic City."

A couple of kids from our jurisdiction had stolen some money and made their way to gamble it all in Atlantic City. Fuller had to decide who to send to retrieve that money back, and in order to do that they would have to play a bit of poker and be able to win.

"That's right," he said.

"I want to throw my name into the mix," I said.

He raised his eyebrows and asked, "you?"

"Yes, sir."

"Gregg, I'm looking for another person who can play poker, and is good at it."

"I can play poker," I said, a little offended.