The Bust Goes Wrong

I sat in the jail cell of the town of Star City. I had to stay undercover for a series of burglaries we have been investigating that led me to Star City, and I accidentally got caught. It was the middle of the night, and Captain Fuller was not on duty so I could not call him to identify me. I had just finished my one phone call, so I was waiting for him to come through.

On the bench of the cell, I was sandwiched between two big guys who never moved, and barely spoke. They were both six feet tall, covered in gang tattoos, and built like linebackers. I learned their names, and that was enough to teach me not to look them in the eye.

I heard the sound of keys jingling which lifted my head up. I saw Tom walk down the line of cells with an officer by his side and he approached my cell. I could feel my face brighten when I saw him, because I knew I would finally be getting out of there. He looked me up and down and he has the audacity to say to the officer with a straight face, "I've never seen this girl before in my life."

My jaw dropped and I ran to the bars as the officer and Tom were leaving, "Thomas Hanson! Get your ass back here right now! I do not find this amusing! Hanson!"

My night was terrible and I wasn't released until the next morning when I was finally able to prove that I was an undercover cop. I went home and took a much needed shower before I reported to the chapel. I changed into a typical go-to outfit of a band tee-shirt and jeans. I was starving, tired, and just wanted to take a nice, warm nap.

As soon as I got there, I set my coat on the back of my chair and scanned the room for Tom. I glared at him and bellowed, "you son of a bitch!"

"Woah, good morning. What the hell happened to you?" Doug asked from his desk.

I huffed and turned to Tom, who was kicked back in his chair eating grapes casually, with a smug smirk that tugged his lips.

Everyone was on the edge of the seats, ready to listen to my story

"So, it is two in the morning and I'm sitting in a jail cell between two guys named Bloody Eddie and Derek the Domino, waiting for Hanson to come down and identify me. He goes through all the trouble of coming downtown just to say, "I've never seen this girl before in my life".

Doug started laughing, "that's funny."

I kept my glare on Tom as I said, "I was strip searched, hosed down, and naked in front of grown men."

"I'm sorry, Mick, that's not funny," Doug said, still trying not to laugh.

Tom was beginning to laugh too so I said, "you think you're so funny. Next time you get arrested, I will not bail you out."

"Then I won't waste my one phone call on you," Tom playfully shot back.

"What were you doing there anyway?" Doug asked.

"Forgot my badge while patrolling the house over on Jefferson Street in Star City."

"Star City? That's at least an hour away," Doug said. He turned to Tom and asked, "did you really wake up in the middle of the night, drive an hour to the station just to not identify her? And then drive back?"