Tom and Booker Investigate Classified Documents

Tom's POV

It's been a few weeks since Mickey started going back to school, and the chapel is incredibly boring without her. I'll be sitting at my desk filling out reports, and I'll glance up to tell her a joke, but all I'll see is an empty desk. I don't think I'll ever get used to that.

I sat at my desk with my feet up, twiddling a pencil between my fingers rapidly. Doug had his head down, Judy was clicking away at her typewriter, Booker was cleaning his motorcycle helmet, and Ioki was gone handling a case over at River Valley Institute. The only sound around us was the fan buzzing in the corner, trying to circulate the stale air around us. We were the only team in the chapel, so it was eerily quiet.

I blew a raspberry, and I felt incredibly bored. I dug through one of the drawers of my desk and found some darts. I grabbed a handful and located the nearby dartboard on the wall.

"It's weird without Mickey," Doug stated, breaking our silent streak.

"Yeah," Judy and I agreed.

"It's quiet," I said, throwing a dart at the board and it nearly landed in the bullseye.

"One Friday of many," Doug stated, "not sure how long I can hold on. She makes the time go by faster."

"She's taken vacations before," Judy stated as I threw another dart. "It's essentially the same thing."

"And she's coming back," Booker said without looking up at us from his helmet. "It ain't like she quit."

"Yeah, you're right," Doug sighed and sat up straight in his chair and he began writing away. I ignored them all, and threw another dart.

Fuller's office door opened and Fuller stepped out to call us, "Booker! Hanson! Get in here."

I peered toward Booker just as he looked up from his helmet. He set it down on the table of the desk he adopted and I followed him into Fuller's office.

Fuller put me and Booker on a theft case at Evergreen High School. It seemed simple enough for me to do it alone, or Booker to do it alone, but Fuller had an alternative motive.

I was standing in front of Fuller's desk and said, "this seems easy enough for Detective Booker to accomplish on his own."

"I know, that's why I'm assigning both of you. As you know, Gregg has school, so I want you to get acquainted with a new partner," Fuller explained and handed us our case files. "I think you guys will get along."

"I don't think so. We are at different levels of understanding each other," I said.

"Come on, Tommy," Booker said which made me roll my eyes.

I raised my eyebrows and suggested, "what about Doug? Bring back the McQuaid Brothers."

"McQuaid Brothers?" Booker chuckled, looking at me with judgement in his eyes.

"See?!" I nearly yelled.

"Come on, pal," Booker said and pat his hand on my shoulder a few times. "I'll buy you a taco."

I felt my nostrils flex as I glared down at his hand and wiggled my shoulder out from under his grasp. I did not want this guy near me, let alone touching me. What's his problem?

"You guys don't have to like each other, but you have to respect each other. All right? Can you at least do that?" Fuller asked.

"I can but I don't know if he can," I grumbled as I flipped through the folder.

"Get it done," Fuller said firmly.

I came to a page in my folder and noticed what my name was going to be for this assignment and I immediately sighed audibly.