The Shooting of McKinley High School ⚠️

⚠️ TW: school shooting

September 1988

Tom and I were undercover at McKinley High to try to investigate a drug ring that was reported at the school. It was just our third day at McKinley, and we were having lunch together at the cafeteria.

It was a little chilly today so I wore baggy brown straight leg jeans, a brown and green flannel over a white tank top with a pair of suede taupe clogs. My cream colored socks slouched at my ankle, and I stuck to a simple black belt. I just wished I brought a heavier coat.

I grabbed my chocolate milk and shook the carton in order to combine it. I said, "I swear to god, I will have a breakdown if my milk is moldy again. Do you remember that? That was disgusting."

Tom looked at me with a growing smile at the memory. It was when we were undercover at Taft High a couple weeks ago. The milk I received from the cafeteria was spoiled, curdled, and moldy. Unfortunately, I did not know that the milk had gone bad until I drank it. I had nearly puked because the milk was so revolting.

"What?" I chuckled and opened my carton of chocolate milk

"What?" I chuckled and opened my carton of chocolate milk. There was a look on his face that I had never seen before. There was just something about his eyes and the way that he looked at me.

"I just—" he began to say but he was interrupted by a sudden sound of intense popping and kids in the cafeteria screaming that made both me and Tom snap our heads toward the entrance.

Someone came walking through the cafeteria doors with a gun in his hand. My breathing halted, and my eyes grew wide. All the blood drained from my face in a moment.

"Everybody on the ground! Now!" The kid shouted and shot a round into the ceiling, making everyone scream in fear. I recognized him as George, we had ruled him out as a suspect for being the leader of the drug ring. I think it would be reasonable to make him a suspect again.

Tom and I looked at each other helplessly, knowing that neither of us had our weapons.

"Shit," I whispered.

"I said on the ground!" George shouted loudly to everyone.

All the kids in the room slowly made their way to the floor, doing what he said. He walked around slowly, seeing how frightened everyone was. A small smile lifted his lips, making me feel repulsed and sick. My anxiety manifested through peeling the skin of my inner bottom lip with my teeth, trying to cope with this terrifying situation.

Every time he pulled the trigger, the sound of a body slumping to the floor ensued which was followed by the sounds of screaming and crying. He would tell everyone to shut up, and then he would continue on his rampage. Tom and I were facedown on the floor with our hands by our heads, but my head was tilted so I could see what was happening. My back muscles were so tight, I could barely move. George walked over to us and put the barrel of his gun into Tom's ear.