A.W.O.L.

Based on the episode A.W.O.L.
March 1989

I was in a rush to get ready this morning, and my heart fell out of my chest when I saw that it was still snowing outside. I couldn't find my winter coat, so instead I grabbed the first jacket I saw to wear over my dark blue pull-over. It was my jean stormrider jacket with blanket lining, which I figured was good enough for the time being. It's very warm. I couldn't even find my black windbreaker. Hopefully I get to spend the entire day at the chapel so I don't have to go out into the freezing cold.

My drive was painfully slow, and I passed an accident on the way. I walked into the chapel and everyone was already gone on their assignments. I tried to tip-toe carefully in case no one had noticed that I was a little late. I froze when Fuller came out of his office and said, "Gregg, in here."

I exhaled slowly and dumped my bag on my chair. I sauntered over to his office and closed the door behind me. I immediately apologized, "Fuller, I'm sorry I'm late. There was an accident a few blocks away that I couldn't get around."

"Never mind that, Gregg, it's fine. Just glad you got here safe," Fuller said. He didn't have a folder for me, but he said, "I need you over at Madison High School."

"What's going on over there?" I asked.

"Twenty-nine days ago, a private named Jack Weaver ran off during basics. He needs to be back on base by tomorrow or he will officially be a deserter. I sent Penhall and Hanson over to find him early this morning, but it's been hours and they still haven't been back yet. I just need you to go over there and move them along."

"What's Weaver doing at a high school? How was he found?" I asked.

"Sergeant Wilcox played some hunches and made some calls to track him down. Weaver is at his old high school, but not enrolled. He's just hanging out with his buddies," Fuller explained.

"We have to bring a private back to base? That's not exactly what we do."

"This is returning a favor of an old army buddy of mine. If he goes combing through those halls, Weaver will run."

"Oh, okay," I said.

"The guys are already over there. I already made the call, and the office is waiting for you. Hurry, it's picture day."

I thanked him and ran out of his office. I still had my jean jacket on, and luckily today I decided to wear thick baggy black jeans to try to help with maintaining heat. I was so unprepared for the snowy weather, I forgot to get gloves or even a hat. It shouldn't matter though, I'm not going to be outside much today.

I trudged through the snow to get to my car, with my warm chai tea in my hand that Booker left for me on my desk. The laces of my brown boots were getting soggy from dragging in the snow and I tried not to slip on the icy pavement. They are waterproof, and have great traction.

I swung into my car and blew on my shaking hands before I turned the key. I absolutely hate driving in the snow. Last time it snowed this bad, Tom called to see if I could pick him up because his Mustang cannot handle the snow. Then, my crappy little car couldn't make it either. We both had to rely on Doug to get us to work that day.

Luckily, the roads were cleared this morning so my car powered through. I drove to Madison High School and checked with the office before they showed me where the gymnasium was so I could get in line for yearbook photos. I cannot count how many times I have had to take yearbook photos for this job.

There was a long line that led up to a blue background and a man holding a camera, calling kids up one at the time to get their photo taken. I scanned the room for just a moment until I saw Tom and Doug. I could recognize the backs of their heads anywhere.