Tom's Last Assignment

July 1990

Tom already gave Fuller his two weeks a couple weeks ago, so today marked the first day of his last assignment. He came into work, surprisingly cheerful despite the circumstance. But, Tom tends to revert to an outburst of euphoria and happiness when he's stressed and upset... for some reason.

We all were sitting in our usual yet unofficial spots at the table while Fuller stood at the head of it. He addressed everyone, and we had light banter before we got down to business. "I'm sure you are all aware by now, but it is Tom's last day at here Jump Street. As a proper send off, I am assigning you with Gregg."

Was I surprised? No. But I was relieved. I was a little nervous that we would not have the same assignment for his last one, so I was glad that we were paired together one last time.

I looked around at the table. This was the last time we were all going to be here together like this. Tom was leaving, and Fuller had told us earlier in the week that new recruits would be training with us before the school year starts back up again. Everything was going to be different, and I wasn't ready for the change. I wanted to take advantage and soak this moment in, because it wasn't going to be like this forever. These were the good old days.

I could see Fuller's lips move, but I wasn't really listening when he was giving Doug, Ioki, and Judy their assignments. I think they were going to some summer camp for their assignments. I snapped out of my thoughts when he slid a folder across the table to me.

Fuller tossed Tom his folder and we opened them at the same time. Fuller said to us, "you two are going to head to the Green Frog. It's a high end club where they have a drug ring of new, highly expensive drugs. I need you two to get in there and stop them before it hits the market."

"You can count on us," Tom promised and put his sunglasses on with an excited smile.

"I know I can," Fuller nodded softly

"I know I can," Fuller nodded softly. He wasn't ready for Tom to leave us either. Tom told me that Fuller tried to talk him into staying at Jump Street at least three times since he put in his two-weeks notice. Fuller cleared his throat and asked, "does anyone have any questions?"

I shook my head and looked around, and everyone else was doing the same thing.

"Let's go do it!" Doug shouted. He pounded the table vigorously, followed by a howl before he stood up.

"I'm glad he's on our side," Fuller said and he dismissed us.

Judy, Ioki, and Doug all went off on their assignments for the day. Since the Green Frog doesn't open until late, Tom and I stayed at the chapel. I was marking on my calendar my upcoming court dates that I need to be at, and Tom was tying up some loose ends before his departure. I kept looking up at his desk and smiling softly, because there will be a day when I look up and I don't see him. I did not want that day to come.

That night, Tom and I arrived at the club wearing sleek black outfits to fit in with the high-end crowd. He wore a black shirt with a high neck and a black blazer, while I wore a simple black dress that hugged my body. I hadn't worn such fancy, dark makeup in a long time. My eyelashes were heavy with mascara, and it took everything for me not to lick my red lipstick off. I had blown out my brown hair, and wore blocky costume earrings that matched the rest of my gold jewelry. They looked real if you didn't look too hard at them, and my hair usually covered them anyway.