Happy Birthday

December 2, 1988

I arrived at work and was immediately spooked when Doug rushed up to me and wrapped his arms around me in a bear hug. He spun me around while shouting "happy birthday," in my ear.

"Who's birthday is it?" I joked. I giggled in the air and then said, "thanks."

He finally let me down and escorted me to my desk. There was a silver Happy Birthday balloon hovering above my desk, but grounded by the end of the ribbon that was wrapped around a cute little desk plant. Leaning against the plant, was a card with my name written on the crisp white envelope in cursive.

I couldn't fight my smile as I put my hands over my heart at this sweet gesture. This is one of the kindest things anyone has ever done for me. I almost wanted to cry.

I gushed, "thanks, guys. You really didn't have to."

"The plant was my idea," Judy beamed.

"Thanks Jude." I smiled. "I love it. Thank you all."

"Ioki made cupcakes," Doug said.

"You didn't," I nearly gasped.

"I did." Ioki smiled proudly. "Your favorite! Chocolate."

I skipped over to him and gave him a hug. My hair was bouncing on my back from curling it this morning, and I was in a very happy mood. I noticed the box of cupcakes along the back table and I helped myself to one. Even Fuller popped out to wish me a happy birthday and handed me a card with some cash inside.

Tom came through the chapel doors and immediately spotted the cupcakes. He grabbed one and started peeling off the wrapper. He took a bite and asked, "what's the occasion?"

"It's Mickey's 21st!" Doug said excitedly.

Tom froze with chocolate frosting smudged on the tip of his nose. "That was today? Oh, God. I completely forgot."

"I don't think I've mentioned my actual birthday date in months. I'm surprised that these goons remembered it," I said with a slight chuckle.

"We would never forget," Doug said and playfully nudged me with his shoulder.

"Gee, Mick, I'm so sorry. I forgot," Tom said. He looked so guilty.

"Except for the newbie," Doug teased.

"Dude, it's no big deal," I chuckled and waved it off. I really didn't care. I would have been content just having a normal day, but it made me feel very warm and appreciative that my team remembered. I felt special.

"What are your plans for tonight?" Judy asked me.

"I think there's a rerun of Night Court on tonight then I'll probably get an early start to my sleep," I said honestly. I inhaled my cupcake and threw the wrapper away.

"On your 21st birthday?!" Doug was appalled, "but it's Friday! I would have killed for my 21st birthday to land on a Friday."

"You and I are two very different people," I pointed out and settled into my chair.

Tom spoke up, "to make up for my ignorance, my birthday gift to you is dinner."

"You don't have to," I said and leaned back in my chair.

"Nope. It's your gift, you can't take it back," he said, "dinner tonight. Me and you. Where do you want to go?"

"I'll see what I'm feeling later," I said with a sympathetic smile.

Tom was satisfied with my answer, and everyone started to disperse with work. I thought maybe Tom would have forgotten, but he kept asking me throughout the day where I wanted to go eat.