The End: The Return

Don't forget that I'm going to be rewriting some chapters in Tom's point of view! Send me requests of ones you want to see! 🥰

May 2012

After talking to Fuller at Jump Street and accepting the position of Captain in Chicago, I found myself sitting on our favorite bench that overlooked the calm waters off the west coast. But for the first time in forever, I was alone. Tom and I would sit here whenever either of us would have a hard assignment, just to have each other's company and look to the ocean. I could almost feel like Tom was there with me.

I felt the lump in my throat, a hollow in my chest, and tears gathering in the corners of my eyes. I sat there, watching as the calm and shimmering water tried to make me feel whole again. It had been such a long day, even longer without being able to call Tom. He was always my go-to guy for hard days. But I would tell him all about it when I saw him again. I just hope he's waiting for me, and we can spend eternity together somewhere beyond the stars.

I couldn't help but feel like I was being watched. I glanced over toward a tree and saw a man leaning against it. A biker. He had long blonde hair with equally long blonde beard and mustache. He wore a dark jean vest over a long sleeve shirt, and a purple bandana on his head. His dark sunglasses made it difficult to see his face, but he was continuously eating peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon.

I tried to ignore him, but I knew he was looking at me

I tried to ignore him, but I knew he was looking at me. I kept my attention on Tom. I hoped wherever he was, he was looking down at me. I finished my little visit by saying a little prayer up to Tom, and went to my hotel to pack and head back to my home in Chicago.

Back at Chicago, I had my first shift as their captain. When I got home, I knew I needed to train my new officers so I planned to spend the rest of the day creating a training regiment for them since they can't partner with someone experienced. I was going to use the rest of the week just dedicated to training before putting them out in the field.

After the funeral, Tom's mom had gone to Virginia to clean out his home. She asked me to go with her, but I was working so I couldn't, which was rough on the both of us. She came back with a box of stuff, things that were mine or what Margaret thought that Tom would want me to have. It was all of our photos together that he brought with him to Virginia, our beloved painting, and every letter and photo I had sent to him while he was gone. He kept every single one.

I went into my closet to find a home for this box and I accidentally knocked another box off the shelf. When I bent down to pick it up, I noticed it was the video camera that I bought Tom for Christmas so many years ago, along with every letter he sent me when he was in Virginia. I pulled out a couple letters and saw that they dated all the way back to 1990. Then, I grabbed the video camera. The tape was still inside, so I pressed the eject button and out popped a VHS tape. I took out the tape and immediately ran to my television. I still had my old VHS player in the garage, so I grabbed it and managed to hook it up to my television set.