Last Call

September 1987

The music concert hall was dark, but the strobe lights were so bright that we could only see the people around us for just half a second before the room was dark again. Spotlights shined on the rock bands that were playing for us as we jumped and cheered for them like we were their biggest fans.

Sagan College was hosting a Battle of the Bands concert near the campus. Lots of bands were playing, including the BigFoot Band. A fake band consisting of Doug, Ioki, and Tom. The name was devised after a recent and lengthy argument we had at the chapel over if Big Foot exists or not.

We were all here for a case. Tom, Doug, and Ioki had to become a rock band so we can see if the music students have any drug activity happening at this college-run function backstage. Judy and I were attending as fans, in case the drugs were being passed around the venue. It was actually one of the more fun assignments we have ever had together.

Most of these bands were cover bands, which did not exclude BigFoot Band. When it was their turn to come up on stage, Judy and I made sure we were at the front and we supported them as loud as we could but I think the rest of the student body drowned us out.

Doug was hidden behind the set of drums while Ioki was preparing his keyboard, and Tom stood in front with his guitar and a microphone in front of him. He looked a little nervous by the way he awkwardly smiled and chuckled softly. His thick hair was curly and floppy, and Judy and I put eyeliner on him even though he whined about it. Honestly, he looks great in eyeliner. He wore a lot of jewelry that he borrowed from me and Judy, and a black cut up muscle shirt. He looked like a real rockstar.

Fuller actually had another Jump Street member join us for this assignment. His name is Brian, and he was given the task of playing the electric guitar and being Tom's back up vocals. He joined the team before summer started, right around when Fuller became our captain and expanded the program.

I would never admit it out loud, but us core-five are Fuller's A-team. We have been on Jump Street the longest, we are the most qualified, and frankly we are the best in the program. Brian isn't a part of our team, but he has his own group that he generally works with so we don't really communicate with him very often but since he's been with us for a bit, I've been liking him. He's friendly, very nice, considerate, outgoing, full of energy, and always gets his work done.

"What do you think they're gonna play?" Judy asked me in a loud voice so we could hear each other over the sounds of the college students screaming.

"I don't know!" I yelled back. The guys made it apparent that they wouldn't tell us. They wanted it to be a surprise for some reason. They had all been practicing for so long, it was pretty cute how excited they were even though they were all really nervous. Usually we are supposed to blend in, not stand out.

I heard Tom clear his throat and he began singing hesitantly as Ioki started on the piano.

"Tonight I'm gonna have myself a real good time,
I feel alive,
And the world, I'll turn it inside out, yeah,
I'm floating around in ecstasy.
So don't stop me now.
Don't stop me now.
'Cause I'm having a good time, having a good time!"

Judy and I giggled and screamed out with the rest of the crowd. Mostly girls were rushing to the stage, reaching up to try to grab at Tom. It made him laugh but he took a few steps back to avoid them and he kept rocking out like the real rockstar he is. His long fingers were dancing across the strings, where I could see his veins and finger tendons moving from where I was standing. It gave him a boost of confidence. He is so rock and roll.