Chapter 4

The large doors swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and several wrinkles around her brown eyes. Harrison instantly recognized her from her father's description. This must be Minerva McGonagall, his father had told him all about her. He had also heard stories about her from his older friends, they said she treated all of the houses equally except when it came to quidditch.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid announced.

"No, duh," Leo murmured.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here," McGonagall told him.

She pulled the door wide to reveal the inside of Hogwarts. The entrance hall was a large square room, the stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors. Harrison heard several exclamations of shock, but he didn't think it was anything special. The entrance hall at Riddle Manor was larger and much more grand.

They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. Harrison could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right -the rest of the school must already be here- but Professor McGonagall showed the first years into a small, empty chamber off the hall. They crowded in, standing rather closely packed together than they would usually have done. Harrison noticed that most of the students were peering about nervously. Harrison internally rolled his eyes, it's just a bloody hat we have to try on, shouldn't everyone know that? Harrison was squished between Cass and Draco, the latter scowled when a sandy haired boy bumped into him.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts."

Harrison exchanged smiles with his friends; they have been like his family for as long as he could remember. He knew that he would go to Slytherin, there wasn't a doubt in his mind about it. He was excited to finally be in the house that his father, godparents, and most of his older friends were in.

"You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return when we are ready for you, please wait quietly."

"Smarten ourselves up?" Cass repeated scathingly, only Harrison and Leo heard her remark and they both covered snorts.

McGonagall's gaze snapped to them before her eyes roamed to Neville who's cloak was fastened under his ear. Harrison didn't even know how that was possible. Her eyes then flickered over to a boy with red hair who had a smudge on his nose before she left the chamber. Harrison watched as the red headed boy conversed with two other boys. One was a tall black boy and the other was the one who had bumped into Draco.