Chapter 118

Tonks sat motionless in a chair as everyone argued around her.

"This is all a bunch of dragon dung," Moody barked.

"You know they're Death Eaters," Sirius snarled. "They shouldn't be allowed to make the laws!"

"What is this going to mean for us?" Molly asked, wide eyed.

"I should've—"

"That's enough," Dumbledore said. His voice wasn't loud, but everyone could hear the warning in his tone. His blue eyes were hard and his hands were sat unmoving on his armrests. "I understand that we are all upset by the new rules put into effect today."

"Upset?" Moody barked. "You know very well we're more than upset! These new rules are going to stretch us aurors so thin, Merlin knows we won't be able to protect anyone properly!"

Dumbledore sighed. "We all knew something like this would come to pass after what happened yesterday at the Ministry. Amelia ensures me that she will be hiring new aurors as soon as next week. The number of aurors will—"

A loud swoosh sounded as several owls came swooping in through the living room window. A rolled up newspaper fell into Tonk's lap. The words Special Edition Daily Prophet written in bold at the top. Tonks hadn't expected the special edition to arrive this early.

"They printed this issue extremely fast," Remus murmured, as he adjusted his dress robes. Tonks thought he looked nice in his teaching robes, she blushed at the thought.

"That surprises you?" Moody growled. "We all know who really runs the Daily Prophet. Those bloody Death Eaters!"

"Alastor," Dumbledore sighed.

Tonks blocked out her fellow Order members and unrolled the paper. A picture of Cornelius Fudge, wearing his ridiculous bowler hat and grinning like a five year old with a sugar high stood behind a podium. Amelia Bones was standing slightly behind him, her hands clasped behind her back. You could see a dozen photographers and reporters asking questions and snapping photos on their cameras. Tonks knew she wasn't going to like what it said, but she began to read.

Ministry of Magic Implements New Rules

By Rita Skeeter

This morning, the Wizengamot met for an emergency session which lasted a mere three hours. After the Wizengamot disbanded, Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, and Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Amelia Bones, held a press conference. The press conference was broadcast live over the wizarding wireless network, and transcripts can be requested. However, for my dear readers I will list the new rules that the Wizengamot has placed into effect.

1.) All entrances and exits at the Ministry of Magic MUST be guarded by at least one auror at all times.

2.) No less than ten aurors will patrol the Ministry atrium in groups of two at all times.

3.) All future victims, witnesses, and accused will enter and exit the Ministry of Magic through an unspecified and secure location.

4.) All aurors will undergo psychiatric evaluation to ensure they are able to perform all required duties.

5.) The number of auror patrols will increase at all public wizarding locations including, but not limited to, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, Birsch Lane, and Highgrove.