Chapter 131

The large marble room felt small and the air seemed thick. The meeting chamber was packed with Death Eaters. Anger and confusion was palpable as Alecto and Amycus Carrow, John Dawlish, Erik Anderson, and eight other Death Eaters were marched into the room, their hands magically bound.

Tom's eyes roamed over the room, and he could see that many of his followers were having difficulty hiding their anger. Bellatrix stood in the front and he could see the warring in her eyes, she wanted to kill them outright, but Tom had ordered his followers to do nothing, yet he could see her desire to end them. Tyler Bletchley stood off to the side, his face frozen. Samuel Knott, a member of his inner circle, and one the most stoic men Tom knew, was shaking slightly in anger and grief. Behind Samuel stood Craig Warrington, the usually sour man kept glancing to his right where his son normally stood. Tom knew Cameron Warrington before he had become a Death Eater, back when he played quidditch at Hogwarts with Harrison. Tom knew the young man would have a hard time controlling his emotions around the people responsible for his sister's death, and Tom didn't need his followers emotions getting in the way today.

The meeting hall was silent, not a breath could be heard as the twelve Death Eaters reached the dais and knelt before Tom. It was nearing three in the morning, and all of them bore marks from last nights battle. Tom didn't care if they were in any pain, and he knew some of them were. There was no reason for a dying man to be made comfortable.

Tom stood from his seat and Alecto flinched. He could feel the fear pouring off the twelve traitors. Erik glanced sideways at Amycus and Tom strode towards the eldest Carrow.

"Stand and move forward, Amycus," Tom ordered coldly.

Amycus stood, his countenance confident, but his posture betraying his fear. Amycus took a few steps forward. Tom walked around him once, not saying a word. He could see Amycus tense up further. Tom still didn't say anything as he walked back up the dais and sat on his intricately carved throne. Nagini slithered up the back of his throne, and her tongue flicked in and out near his face. Tom reached up and stroked her head. Amycus swallowed.

"Do not for one second think of using fancy words to trick and deceive," Tom said. "Tell me why you thought you could don the robes and mask of my loyal followers and lead an unauthorized attack that resulted in the death of children to followers loyal to me. It was your idea after all, Amycus, was it not?"

"Yes, my Lord," Amycus said. His voice faltering. Tom's eyes bore into his. "I did it for you, my Lord. We did it for you."

"For me?" Tom asked, his words coming out almost as a hiss.

"We wanted to please you," Amycus said hurriedly, sweat beading around his forehead. "You prize initiative, my Lord. We struck fear into the hearts of Britain, as you wanted!"

"As I wanted?" Tom said slowly, his voice quiet, but still everyone heard him. "If I want something I get it, I don't need the likes of you to do so for me." Amycus flinched, and Tom continued to stroke Nagini. "What you did wasn't initiative, it was betrayal."

"Never!" Erik yelled.

"Silence!" Tom ordered. "I wasn't speaking to you."

Tom didn't spare the young Death Eater a glance, and continued to look at Amycus.

"Your initiative," Tom sneered, "led to my son being injured."