Chapter 89

Sirius Black pulled his ragged black cloak tighter around his body as he shivered. He wasn't cold, but he could feel the dementors all around the village. They weren't next to him but he could sense them. He figured it had to do with him having been in Azkaban for so long. His shivering increased as he pictured the horrifying creatures. Living with dementors for twelve years had greatly affected the once happy and handsome man. Sirius' skin which was once a warm tan was now pale, a slight yellow tint to it. The black hair he once was so proud of was matted and covered with sweat and dirt. His face was sunken in and his eyes looked too large for his face. He was the shell of the man he once was, physically as well as mentally.

Sirius had spent the past twelve years thinking of hardly anything besides his old friends and godson. He felt hatred and disgust towards himself for allowing Peter to be the Potters secret keeper. And he was angry that he was stupid enough to go after the traitorous rat. He should've talked to Dumbledore and explained what had happened. Instead he rushed blindly after Peter, and the man he thought was his friend escaped and was living as a free man. Sirius would give anything to go back and change what happened, but he knew that he couldn't. He had escaped so that he could clear his name and tell the whole world that Peter Pettigrew was the death eater, not him.

Sirius glanced up as he walked past a group of laughing middle aged woman. It felt strange being back in Hogsmeade, the place he used to sneak off to with the other Marauders when they were craving butter beer. He probably spent more time in Hogsmeade when he was younger than he had Hogwarts. Looking around the village it appeared that much hadn't change in twelve years. The village was still picturesque and the stores were busy.

Sirius did his best not to draw attention to himself, he knew if he was spotted a riot would ensue. He walked in silence, glancing up on occasion until something made him stop in his tracks. Walking out of The Three Broomsticks were a group of students who looked to be third years. Standing next to an arrogant looking boy who appeared to be a miniature Lucius Malfoy was a boy who reminded him of Lily. The boy had black hair and pale skin, a small smile on his lips as a pretty red headed girl said something to him. He didn't know why the boy reminded him of Lily until he saw his eyes. They were green, the brightest green he had ever seen. It was the color of Avada Kedavra. He had only seen that eyes color once before, it was Lily's eyes. Sirius blinked, his cracked dry lips parting slightly.

"Watch where you're going," a large boy who ran into Sirius sneered. Sirius quickly put his head down as the boy walked past him. He saw the end of a dark green cloak skimming the ground as the boy walked passed him. Sirius quickly looked to where the boy with Lily's eyes had just been standing but he was gone. Sirius knew he should start walking before he began to draw attention to himself but he didn't care. There was something about that boy Sirius felt that he knew, beyond his late friends eyes. Sirius looked around for another minute but he couldn't see the boy. Sirius pulled his hood down lower and began walking in the direction he thought the boy had gone.

Sirius began to walk faster when he saw the red headed girl. Sirius came to an abrupt halt when he realized that he had walked towards Hogwarts and that he wasn't almost to the gate. He watched with a feeling he couldn't quite described as the group of students walked through the iron gates of Hogwarts. He sighed and turned around, ignoring the growling of his stomach. He began to walk dejectedly back to Hogsmeade, his mind a whirl of thoughts. He didn't realize where he was walking until he bumped into someone.

"Sorry," Sirius said as he grabbed the persons arm to keep them from falling. He looked up and realized too late that he wasn't supposed to be seen. The woman whose arm he was holding eyes went wide, her mouth opened in a silent scream. Sirius' own eyes widened and he immediately dropped her arm as if burnt. For a moment neither of them moved, until-

"It's Sirius Black!" The woman shouted, her voice so loud Sirius flinched. Everyone turned to look and Sirius felt himself panic. He knew that if he was caught he wouldn't be going back to Azkaban, he would be getting the dementors kiss. He heard raised voices all around him as people started to scream and run away in terror. Sirius saw a stunner shoot passed his face and his instincts kicked in. Sirius turned towards where the village ended and the nearby forest began. He ran as fast as he could, the shouting growing louder and stunners being sent towards him. His hood fell off but he didn't care, he just ran as fast as he could.

After running for what felt like eternity Sirius ran behind a large tree. He leaned up against it and took in several deep breaths. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back. He could feel his heart racing fast and sweat dripping into his eyes. He straightened when he heard voices.

"Auror Dawlish go to the north with Aurors Thompson and Jones," a loud authoritative voice barked. "Auror Shacklebolt take Aurors Bates and Croft to the west. The rest of you come with me." Sirius quickly transformed into his animagus form and ducked into a large bush nearby. He watched as several pairs of feet ran by him. He waited for almost an hour before he slowly walked out of the bush. He sniffed the air for hints that anyone was near. When he detected no one he began running towards the large mountain. He would have to find a cave to stay in for the next few days.