Chapter 116

Luna stared at the doors to the Great Hall, where less than five minutes ago Viktor and Ginny had walked out. Her stomach felt as though she had swallowed hot lava. A feeling of dread washed over her and the stench of death filled her nostrils. She knew the stench was in her head, but she could smell it nonetheless. Luna had the horribly uneasy feeling that Viktor and Ginny leaving the Great Hall together was the seal on their death certificates. She knew it was irrational, but she felt nauseous and guilty. After all, Viktor was only tasked with seducing Ginny because of Luna.

Luna grabbed her goblet and gulped down the remaining grape juice. She looked down at the table as a memory from nearly a year ago surfaced.

***"You cannot tell me why she is important?" Tom asked. Luna felt as if his eyes were piercing into her soul.

"No," Luna admitted. "I can't explain any better than I have," a hint of frustration entered her normally airy tone. "Ginny Weasley, I don't know why, but she's important. I can't see it clearly, but if she's against us…" A far away look entered Luna's eyes. "If Ginny is against us, I don't know how, but it will be extremely detrimental. I don't think we can afford to have her stand with the Order."

"The girl is useless," Tom said, eyeing Luna carefully. "She's smart enough, Severus says she's number ten in her year. She isn't powerful, she has no connections or wealth. She is of no use to me."

"I know," Luna admitted. "It's not that she'd be a match for you, or Harrison, or even the inner circle. It isn't her power that makes her dangerous…" She trailed off.

"I can kill her," Tom said thoughtfully.

"No," Luna said adamantly. "I know, like I know my own name, that if she dies…" Luna took a shaky breath. "If she dies, the losses on our side…" A shiver ran down Luna's spine.

Luna didn't know how to explain it, but she'd never felt so certain of anything in her entire life. Ginny Weasley's life, the path she chose, or the one chosen for her, would lead to the end of this Britain and the beginning of the next. She looked into Tom's eyes, she pushed her emotions to the forefront of her mind, raw and honest. She saw something flicker in Tom's eyes.

"She will join us…willingly," Tom stated, as if it was him who could see the future.

"She's as light as they come," Luna said warily.

"Love, Luna," Tom said slowly, "makes a person do things they never thought possible."***

Luna pulled herself out of her memories when several gasps rung out through the hall. She looked down at her plate where that morning's Daily Prophet was laying on top of her eggs and bacon. She wrinkled her button nose as she unrolled the issue.

Tonks unfolded that morning's edition of the Daily Prophet and smiled as she looked at the large black and white photo. Six aurors could be seen carrying small objects out of a large, four story manor. Her smile faltered slightly when she saw who had written the article.

Carrow Manor Raided

By Rita Skeeter

My dearest readers, I can confirm that yesterday morning the home of James and Anna Carrow was raided by a team of six aurors. According to Amelia Bones, the head of Magical Law Enforcement, a room was discovered on the premises containing numerous dark and illegal artifacts.