Chapter 80

After lunch which had been spent discussing their new classes and professors, all of the third year Slytherins walked to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Professor Lupin wasn't there when they arrived so they all sat down in the back of the classroom. Like Harrison's first two years the classroom looked different since there was a new teacher. The room was filled with posters of dark creatures and a Grindylow was swimming around in a tank on Remus' desk. The Gryffindors soon walked in, Ron, Dean and Seamus glaring at the Slytherins as they did so. Neville smiled when he saw Harrison and took the seat on his left that the latter had saved for him. Harrison was glad that Neville didn't change how he acted around him after learning who Harrison's father was. After exchanging greetings Remus walked in, he smiled vaguely and placed his tatty old briefcase on his desk. He was as shabby as ever but looked healthier than he had on the train, as though he had had a few square meals.

"Good afternoon," Remus said. "Would you please put all your books back in your bags. Today's will be a practical lesson. You will need only your wands." A few curious looks were exchanged as the class put away their books. They had never had a practical Defense Against the Dark Arts class before, unless you counted the memorable class last year when their old teacher had brought a cage full of pixies to class and set them loose. Harrison doesn't like the man, but if the lesson was going to be a practical one then he was going to like him more than Lockhart or Quirrell. And if he was able to "accidentally" curse Ron in the process, than it would be even better.

"Right then," said Remus, when everyone was ready. "If you'd follow me." Puzzled but interested, the class got to its feet and followed Professor Lupin out of the classroom. He led them along the deserted corridor and around a corner, where the first thing they saw was Peeves the Poltergeist, who was floating upside down in midair and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum. Peeves didn't look up until Remus was two feet away; then he wiggled his curly-toed feet and broke into song.

"Loony, loopy Lupin," Peeves sang. "Loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy Lupin —" Rude and unmanageable as he almost always was, Peeves usually showed some respect toward the teachers. Harrison suppressed a snort, Draco however didn't bother to suppress his. Blaise leaned up against the stone wall and crossed his arms over his chest, amusement dancing in his eyes. Everyone looked quickly at Remus to see how he would take this; to their surprise, he was still smiling. Harrison's eyes took on a calculating glint, he knew that Remus was most likely going to attempt to impress the class.

"I'd take that gum out of the keyhole if I were you, Peeves," he said pleasantly. "Mr. Filch won't be able to get in to his brooms." Peeves paid no attention to Professor Lupin's words, except to blow a loud wet raspberry. Remus gave a small sigh and took out his wand. "This is a useful little spell," he told the class over his shoulder. "Please watch closely." He raised the wand to shoulder height, said, "Waddiwasi!" and pointed it at Peeves. Harrison raised an eyebrow, he had never heard that spell before. However, he didn't doubt that Remus invented himself. With the force of a bullet, the wad of chewing gum shot out of the keyhole and straight down Peeves's left nostril; he whirled upright and zoomed away, cursing.

"Cool, sir!" said Dean in amazement. Ron and Seamus were grinning like idiots next to him.

"Easily impressed," Leo murmured in Harrison's ear.

"Thank you, Dean," said Remus, putting his wand away again. "Shall we proceed?" They set off again, he led them down a second corridor and stopped, right outside the staff room door. "Inside, please," said Remus, opening it and standing back. The staff room, a long, paneled room full of old, mismatched chairs, was empty except for one teacher. Snape was sitting in a low armchair, and he looked around as the class filed in. His eyes were glittering and there was a nasty sneer playing around his mouth.