Chapter 101

Fred wanted to chop his hands off, then he wouldn't have to clean anymore. They had been cleaning for more than four hours, and they had yet to finish cleaning the kitchen. Fred didn't know it was possible for a room to accumulate so much dust.

"I can't believe they have us working like house elves," George muttered.

"We really do spend too much time with the Slytherins," Fred shook his head. "But I agree. If mum wasn't breathing down our necks every five minutes we could at least use magic."

A loud bang sounded followed by a scream and Fred had to bite back the laugh that wanted to escape his throat. Ron was sitting on his butt, a large iron pot on his head, while dust rose around him like fog.

"You're supposed to clean the pot," Fred said slowly. "Not wear it."

"Honestly, Ron," George said seriously.

Ron pulled the pot off his head and glared at the twins. "It fell," he snapped.

"What is going on in here?" Molly asked, walking into the room, wand in hand. She looked at Ron sitting on the ground with a pot in his hand and put two and two together. "Oh, Ron. You'll be fine, dear. You all must be more careful."

Ron flushed as their mother left the room, tucking her wand into her apron.

"I can't believe this," Ron muttered.

"Always good for a laugh that one," Fred muttered.

"Yeah," George said absentmindedly.

"George?" Fred asked. "What did you find?" George's head was inside a cupboard.

"Remus said something about Sirius having a house elf, right?" George asked, and continued without waiting for a response. "Well, I think this is where he sleeps." He looked over Fred's shoulder to make sure their mother wasn't coming in. "Look at all this stuff."

Fred looked into the cupboard and was surprised that so much stuff could fit in such a tiny space. A silver goblet winked when the light hit it, a pretty woman in a black picture frame glared at him, and several old books were stacked in the corner. Something flashed in his eye and Fred caught sight of a long gold chain.

"This is nice," Fred said. He turned the heavy gold locket over in his hand and stared down at the serpentine S. He frowned. "Does that look familiar to you?"

"I think so," George said quietly. "I think I've seen it on something of Harrison's."

Fred tried to open the clasp but it wouldn't open. He handed it to George who failed to open it as well. Fred took the locket back, pulled his wand out discretely and tapped it twice. He had never seen a locket that wouldn't open.

Footsteps sounded. "Put it in your pocket," George said quickly.

Fred shoved the locket into his pocket as Molly walked through the door.

"Kingsley is here," Molly said. "He brought us all dinner."

Ron scrambled up and out of the room, followed by Ginny.

"We'll be there in a minute mum," Fred said.

Molly eyed the twins carefully before nodding and walking out the door.