Chapter 42

"Riddle," Cormac spat his name.

"Cormac," Harrison rolled his eyes. "Shouldn't you be trying to find the snitch instead of bothering me?"

"You should know that I'm a Pureblood," Cormac stated pompously.

"Your point?" Harrison drawled as he scanned the sky for the snitch.

"I don't want you to get any ideas that you can get away with petrifying me," Cormac said warningly.

Harrison stopped his search for the snitch and turned back to the third year Gryffindor. He knew he shouldn't have been surprised that Cormac suspected him, but he was somewhat, and he was definitely surprised to be called out during a Quidditch match. He was internally frowning, he would have to resort to drastic measures if Cormac let slip his suspicions to anyone.

"I don't have anything to do with the chamber opening," Harrison said forcing himself to sound insulted.

"Maybe you don't, but you know who did," Cormac sneered. "You're a Slytherin, and everyone knows it was a Slytherin who opened the chamber."

Harrison felt relief wash over him. So Cormac doesn't necessarily think that it was me, just that it was a Slytherin. He snorted as he imagined the pompous prats face if he knew a first year Gryffindor had opened the chamber, albeit both unknowing and unwilling. Cormac gave him a furious look and he assumed it was because of his snort.

"Harrison!" Marcus yelled angrily. "Stop talking and start looking for the snitch!"

Harrison felt like an idiot for talking during a match, he knew he shouldn't have allowed himself to be distracted. He ignored the annoyed noise Cormac made in his throat as he shot off in search of the snitch. He could hear the wind rustling in his ears and he could tell that someone was flying directly behind him. He smirked because he knew that it was Cormac so he immediately pointed his broom down and shot towards the ground. He lifted his hand out as if reaching out for the snitch and out of the corner of his eye he could see Cormac's hand. He almost laughed at how easy it was to trick the older boy.

"Harrison Riddle has spotted the snitch," Lee Jordan announced. "Cormac McLaggen is trailing right behind him."

Harrison was now ten feet above the ground but he didn't stop his descent. He flew until he was two feet from the ground before he pulled his broom up just in time, his shoes skimming the grass as he heard a crash followed by gasps. He made a one eighty and saw Cormac laying down on his back with his leg twisted at an awkward angle, shards of what was once a broom laying all around him. Harrison smirked, he knew the tip of Cormac's broom must've hit the ground or else his broom wouldn't have shattered.

"Riddle performed the Wronski Feint," Lee said sounding grudgingly impressed. "McLaggen appears to be injured and his broom is in pieces."

Madam Pomfrey could be seen running from the professors box with her wand in hand. McGonagall was walking at a brisk pace behind the school nurse. Those cheering for Gryffindor team were shooting the seeker worried looks and some of the first years were crying. The game however didn't stop because Oliver Wood failed to call a time out. Harrison flew up and did a double take when he saw a flash of gold, he shot his hand out and felt wings beat against the palm of his hand. He lifted the struggling snitch into the air and there was silence for a minute until everyone realized what happened. He couldn't help but feel that his catch was anticlimactic, but he won and that was all that mattered to him.

"Harrison Riddle caught the snitch," Lee said dejectedly. "Slytherin wins two hundred and fifty to thirty."

The Slytherins and those cheering for them immediately broke into yells and whistles. Harrison flew to the ground and was immediately pulled into a bone crushing hug from Marcus.

"Congratulations!" Odette yelled as she wrapped her thin arms around Harrison.

"You did brilliantly," Ophelia said kissing Harrison on the cheek.

"McLaggen looked miserable," Blaise smirked. "I thought he was going to cry."

"Party in the common room," Abraham Montague announced.

"Get the firewhiskey," Anthony Dolohov said quietly to Callum Warren but Harrison heard him anyways.

"Save me a dance Harrison," Selene Dolohov winked.

Harrison noticed Daphne glare at the pretty fourth year as she walked away with Callidora Rosier and Sienna Draven. He didn't dwell on in too much however because Hermione knocked the wind out of him. He saw Theo pry the Ravenclaw off of him when she didn't let go.

"I was so scared," Hermione said with slightly wide eyes. "I thought you were going to crash."

"I was fine Hermione," Harrison said with a hint of patronizing. "I know how to fly."

Hermione frowned before it turned into a look of relief. "I know."

"You fly very well," Luna cut in her blonde hair blowing in the wind.

"Thank you," Harrison said giving her a roguish grin.

"Come on Harrison," Peregrine said slinging an arm around the second year effectively stopping the conversation. "It's time to party."