Chapter 117

Murder at the Ministry

By Rita Skeeter

My dearest readers, it is with great sympathy and a heavy heart that I must impart this most distressing news. Yesterday morning, while preparing to leave the Ministry of Magic, after being cleared of all charges on account of misconduct, James Carrow and his barrister, Alexander Lincoln, were murdered. James Carrow leaves behind his wife, Anna, and their five year old daughter, Anna Junior. While Alexander Lincoln has no issue.

I can confirm that at quarter till 8 yesterday morning, Lord Carrow and barrister Lincoln were standing in the Ministry atrium surrounded by dozens of protestors who were shouting profanities and spewing such vile hate that I dare not repeat it here. As they were preparing to leave, Dora Smith, age 93, cast the killing curse at both men, killing them instantly.

Why would this woman want to murder Lord Carrow and his barrister in cold blood? As many of you no doubt will remember, fifteen years ago Lord Carrow's father, Atticus, was accused of murdering Nathaniel Smith. Mister Smith was the oldest son of Dora and Stanley Smith, and left behind a wife, Beth. While the late Lord Atticus Carrow was not found guilty, it is known that the Smith family believes him to have been guilty.

"My mother blamed the entire Carrow family for the death of my older brother," Lord Samuel Smith stated during a press conference last evening. "While I do not agree that murder is an acceptable punishment, my mother's mindset must be understood. For fifteen years my mother has believed Atticus Carrow's father murdered Nathaniel. This morning, my mother, who is an old woman, could not bare to see the Carrow family get away with another heinous act. When I asked her why she too felt the need to murder his barrister, she would do nothing but look straight ahead. I fear that my mother has lost her grip on reality, and I ask for leniency."

The press conference, held by the Lord Smith and his barrister, ruffled many feathers. Including the Lord's of the majority of Britain's oldest and wealthiest families.

Lord Lucius Malfoy was enraged by Lord Smith and last night had this to say. "It is egregious that Lord Smith would compare murder with the procuring and stowing of dark artifacts. While Lord Carrow should have known better than to purchase illegal artifacts, he in no way deserved to be murdered in cold blood in the middle of the Ministry of Magic. As for Alexander Lincoln, he was merely doing his job. How Dora Smith was able to murder not one, but two wizards in the Ministry shows a complete lack of regard for basic safety procedures. I have spoken to my fellow Lord's and we are in outrage. Tomorrow morning we will be holding an emergency session of the Wizengamot, and I expect immediate action to be taken in order to ensure nothing of this nature happens again."

Lord Malfoy asks a good question. Why, after the first illegal and unforgivable curse left Dora Smith's wand, was she not subdued before she cast the killing curse for the second time? There were more than enough aurors in the Ministry atrium, surely one of them could have subdued a 93 year old woman?

When asked during yesterday's press conference Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Amelia Bones, had this to say. "I want to assure the public that every auror, and the entire Department of Magical Law Enforcement would have done anything to prevent today's deaths. I would like to personally send my condolences to the friends and family of both Lord Carrow and barrister Lincoln. As the head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, I will do everything in my power to ensure an event like this never happens again."