Chapter 76

Dumbledore stood up and the hall fell silent, the candlelight shimmering on his beard making stand out more than usual. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts!" He smiled at everyone, his eyes twinkling. However to Harrison it was obvious that something was bothering the old wizard. Internally Harrison smirked, he knew that the death of Elphias Doge had gotten to Dumbledore. To infuriate Dumbledore more, Elphias' body had been delivered in pieces to several important light sided Ministry members including Amelia Bones. According to Snape, Dumbledore had begun trying to recruit into the Order as quickly as he could. "Before you become befuddled by our excellent feast, I have a few announcements to make. I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause, no one at the Slytherin table even bothered to clap. Professor Lupin looked particularly shabby next to all the other teachers in their best robes.

"Sev looks furious," Leo pointed out. Harrison looked at Snape, the Potions professor was staring at Lupin with pure loathing. "This year is going to be interesting." Genuine amusement noticeable in Leo's tone.

"Remember what our fathers told us?" Harrison whispered back. "They hated each other growing up. The Marauders made Sev's life hell when he was at Hogwarts. I don't blame him for hating Lupin, although he should be less obvious about it." Harrison continued to watch Snape who looked mutinous.

"Sev is going to make some Hufflepuffs cry if he keeps that look up," Blaise interjected with a smirk.

"If only," Leo's lips twisted up. "I could use a good laugh."

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued as the lukewarm applause for Professor Lupin died away. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs." Blaise snorted and several other students looked disgusted at the mental image. "However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties." Everyone at the Slytherin table either sneered or looked extremely annoyed. No one in Slytherin house liked the half-giant. However the cheering coming from the Gryffindor table was tumultuous. He could see Ron and his two best friends, Seamus and Dean cheering loudly. Ginny was smiling and waving enthusiastically at Hagrid. Harrison looked at the staff table to see Hagrid, who was ruby red in the face and staring down at his enormous hands, his wide grin hidden in the tangle of his black beard. As Dumbledore started speaking again, he saw that Hagrid was wiping his eyes on the tablecloth. He sneered before his face once more became a blank mask.

"Disgusting," Pansy whispered quite audibly. Dumbledore's smile then became fixed and his twinkling eyes dimmed.

"Also this year two big changes are going to occur courtesy of the Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore announced. Murmurs broke out around the hall, everyone knew about the new supposed High Inquisitor, after all it had been all over the Daily Prophet since the end of the previous school year. "I am sorry to announce that Professor Binns will no longer be teaching History of Magic." A loud whoop came from the Gryffindor table courtesy of the Weasley twins, soon the whispers grew much louder as excited talk broke out. The Ravenclaws looked interested at the news. "Silence," Dumbledore commanded as he held up his hands, the Great Hall quietened down. "History of Magic will now be taught by Professor Crouch Jr." The Slytherin and Ravenclaw tables burst into loud applause causing some of the Gryffindors to look warily or accusingly at Barty, including Ron and his friends. More whispers broke out, this time because the son of the ex-Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement was teaching at Hogwarts. Dumbledore once more held his hands up for silence. "This year we will also be joined by Madam Dolores Jane Umbridge, she will be the Hogwarts High Inquisitor until a time at which the Ministry of Magic decides otherwise." Harrison could see the annoyance on all of the professors faces with the exception of Snape and Barty. Remus appeared to be having an eternal debate, and he wouldn't even look in Umbridge's direction. No doubt due to the amount of anti-werewolf legislature that Umbridge started. "Madam Umbridge will be sitting in on the occasional class and evaluating the standards here at Hogwarts. Please make her feel at home." Harrison could tell that the headmaster didn't want the woman anywhere near his school, that instantly put her in Harrison's good graces.

Dumbledore then cleared his throat. "Mr. Filch has added twenty-three items to the banned items list. To see the full list please visit his office." Harrison heard many incredulous snorts and the Weasley twins winked in his direction. Draco scoffed as Carina whispered something in his ear which caused the blonde to smirk cruelly, Harrison turned back to Dumbledore, he didn't want to know. "Tryouts for the house Quidditch teams will take place on the -" He broke off, looking inquiringly at Professor Umbridge. As she was not much taller standing than sitting, there was a moment when nobody understood why Dumbledore had stopped talking, but then Umbridge cleared her throat, "Hem, hem," and it became clear that she had got to her feet and was intending to make a speech. Dumbledore only looked taken aback for a moment, then he sat down smartly and looked alertly at Professor Umbridge as though he desired nothing better than to listen to her talk. Harrison's eyes began to gleam with interest and amusement.

"This will be interesting," Theo murmured as he leaned slightly towards the head table.