Chapter 107

"Why haven't you healed me yet?" Bellatrix growled.

"The diagnostic spells aren't working properly," Aria Montague said. She looked thoughtful.

"You're supposed to be one of our Lord's best healers, and you can't even perform a diagnostic spell adequately?" Bellatrix spat.

Aria didn't spare Bellatrix even a glance as she waved her wand for what seemed like the millionth time. Bellatrix knew she was being unreasonable, Aria was a friend and one of the best healers in Britain. Bellatrix was merely furious with herself for allowing her cousin to gain the upper hand, even for a moment.

A searing pain shot through Bellatrix and she grasped her stomach. Aria looked at her and frowned.

"What's wrong?" Rodolphus asked.

Bellatrix could see understanding flash in Aria's eyes before the woman once again waved her wand. Her eyes narrowed as Aria's already pale skin went deathly white. Aria said something in Latin and a white mist appeared over Bellatrix' head. Aria raised a shaking hand and tucked a strand of blonde hair behind her ear. She'd known Aria since their days at Hogwarts, and in all that time she'd only seen the woman lose her composure a handful of times.

"Bellatrix," Aria said slowly, "I need you to control your magic. You need to stay calm."

"Aria," Bellatrix growled warningly. "Spit it out, or friend or not, I'll rip open your throat."

Aria looked towards Rodolphus. Bellatrix pulled her hand away from her husbands.

"What?" Bellatrix snapped.

"I'm so sorry," Aria said. She took a shaky breath. "You were eleven weeks pregnant, Bellatrix. I'm sorry, but the spell caused you to miscarry."

Bellatrix froze as the words sank in. She had been pregnant? How had she not known? She had always wanted more kids, but the time had never been right. And all these weeks she had been pregnant and not known.

"She was pregnant," Rodolphus said quietly. His voice sounded foreign to her. "Pregnant."

"I'm sorry," Aria said quietly.

Bellatrix felt a fury rise inside of her like she had never felt before. Her magic was threatening to lash out.

"Get out," Bellatrix whispered.

"I need to heal your internal injuries first," Aria said hesitantly.

Bellatrix looked up at the healer and her eyes flashed. "Get out!"

Aria sent Rodolphus a pitying glance then spun on her heels and quickly exited the room.

"A baby," Bellatrix said after a minute of silence. Her heart throbbed with a pain so intense it threatened to obliterate all thought. For the first time in years, tears pricked her eyes. "We were going to have a baby."

Rodolphus wrapped his arms around Bellatrix from behind, his chin rested on her shoulder.

"He did this," Bellatrix spat. Sadness and anger were building inside of her at a speed she didn't think possible. Red splotches appeared on her cheeks, and her body shook. "That blood traitor, Sirius, did this to me. To us. To our family."