Chapter 139

Kingsley watched as everyone left the room except for Dumbledore and Moody. He glanced at Moody who was staring at him with both eyes, his jaw clenched, making his scar more pronounced than usual.

"You want to know if I've given it any more thought?" Kingsley asked without preamble.

Dumbledore looked at him over his half-moon glasses. "I know your concerns, Kingsley, but Alastor is right. I've tried to put it off for as long as I can, and as much as I dislike the idea…" Dumbledore steepled his hands. "It's for the greater good."

Kingsley sighed. "The greater good is an excuse people use to justify their actions."

Dumbledore remained silent, his chin came to rest on his hands. In that moment, Dumbledore looked older than he had ever seen. The lines in his face were deep grooves, and even his lips were pale.

"It's going to happen whether or not you approve," Moody grunted. "But out of respect we want you involved." He leaned on his staff. "We will never win as long as we play by the rules Voldemort expects us to. This is no longer about doing what's right. It's about doing what needs to be done to ensure future generations even have a choice. If we do nothing I give it a year before Voldemort declares himself Minister of Magic."

Kingsley looked at Moody with disapproval. He didn't like what they had suggested. It wasn't safe for anyone involved. But he couldn't deny that what they were currently doing wasn't working. All of the auror patrols in the world wouldn't stop Voldemort. The madman grew stronger by the day, and soon there would be nothing they could do. They needed inside information, and they needed it now.

"Do you have someone in mind?" Kingsley asked.

Moody grinned, making his scar look more sinister than ever.

xxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

Harrison stood with his body pressed against a giant oak tree, he was as silent and still as a petrified mouse. Very few people came this way, but he couldn't risk being heard or seen. His father had been in a foul mood ever since the Ministry had arrested twenty-three Death Eaters nearly two weeks previously. Everywhere from Hogsmeade to Diagon Alley was crowded with aurors, people were terrified to go out, and even the students at Hogwarts were on edge. Now Tom wanted his plans to progress quicker which is why Harrison found himself underneath an invisibility cloak on a Saturday afternoon, waiting for Viktor and Ginny to come.

Harrison didn't know why they always met on the far side of the Black Lake when everyone knew they were dating, but Harrison assumed it was for privacy. Even though Viktor had been at Hogwarts since October, girls, and even some boys, fawned over him everywhere he went.

Harrison heard a twig crack in the distance followed by quiet arguing.

"Why not?" Ginny asked.

Harrison could hear a faint trace of accusation in her tone.

"You have nothing in common," Viktor snapped.

"But Daphne was nice enough to invite me," Ginny said.

"You don't know her," Viktor said ominously.

Harrison's eyes narrowed and anger surged through him. Viktor was supposed to be convincing Ginny to spend time with his friends, not the opposite. Harrison's right hand twitched. Betrayal and anger coursed through his body, and it took great effort to remain calm. Viktor was supposed to be his friend, and a loyal supporter of his father. Luna's words flooded into his mind. 'You will be betrayed by ones you call friend.' Harrison shook the words away, Viktor had always been loyal, he had to have a reason.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ginny asked.

"Nothing," Viktor said.

"Obviously it means something or you wouldn't have said it," Ginny said, her words clipped.

"Ginny," Viktor began.

"Forget it," Ginny snapped, hurt.

Harrison heard footsteps stomping against the frozen leaves, followed by a heavy sigh. Harrison pulled his invisibility cloak off.

"What the hell was that, Viktor?" Harrison said lowly.

Viktor spun around, his eyes going wide momentarily, as shock and fear flashed briefly in their depths.

"Harrison," Viktor said in surprise. "Vat are you doing here?"

"My father can't afford to have you fail in your mission, and I was sent to ensure it's success," Harrison's wand fell into his hand. "And it seems that was for the best." He pointed his wand at Viktor.

"Harrison," Viktor said slowly.

"Don't," Harrison said coldly. "I'm going to give you one chance to tell me why you were trying to convince Ginny not to go with the girls to Hogsmeade, and if you lie it will be the last thing you ever do."

Harrison could see Viktor swallow thickly, his adams apple bobbed up and down.

"She isn't ready yet," Viktor said quickly. His voice pleading. It was strange to hear coming from him. "She's heard nothing but bad things about them from her housemates. We haven't been together very long, I don't think she'll believe me when I tell her that they're good people. She'll be suspicious."

"We need them to become friends, to feel a bond," Harrison said, "not get married and ride off into the bloody sunset."

"Harrison," Viktor said.

"Enough," Harrison said. He lowered his wand.

Harrison looked at Viktor and his father's words floated into his mind. 'Love. Lust. It doesn't matter. To the common fool they're the same thing, and either will make a person do things they never thought possible.'

Harrison smiled. "You care for her, don't you?"

Viktor opened his mouth and Harrison's eyes narrowed with a deathly promise.

"Yes," Viktor said.

Harrison wanted to strangle Viktor with his bare hands. Out of all of his friends he never would've thought Viktor would fall for his assignment. His father would not be happy to find out about this. For some reason they needed that foolish girl on their side, and Viktor wasn't going to ruin it. Viktor would hate him for it, but the Durmstrang champion would either have to understand or die. In this moment, Harrison was too angry to care which.

"You're lucky I'm not my father," Harrison said, and held up his hand when Viktor went to speak. "Go back to your ship, lock yourself in your room, and stay there until morning. Speak to no one."

"Vat are you going to do?" Viktor asked. Concern thick in his voice.

"Don't worry," Harrison said coldly, "Ginny needs to stay alive."

Viktor looked as though he wanted to argue, but he clenched his jaw, nodded his head, and walked away.