Chapter 129

Cass jumped over an overturned chair as a loud explosion sounded behind her. She didn't look back, even when she heard blood curdling screams. Her heart was pounding, as she tried to search out for her brother. She rounded a corner and in the distance she could see Theo and Hermione. A wave of relief washed over her, but it was short lived, because the ground at her friends' feet erupted sending Hermione and Theo flying into the air and crashing back down. She ran towards her friends as shrapnel rained down on them.

Cass could see Hermione struggling to stand, but Theo didn't move. She pushed herself to move faster when a spell flew towards her from seemingly nowhere. She threw up a shield and spun in the direction she thought the spell had come from. A tall figure stalked towards her donning the Death Eater uniform. Shock jolted through her when the wizard cast a curse towards her. She deflected the curse, and was about to yell at the man that her mother was going to skin him alive, when she realized that with her mask the Death Eater didn't know who she was.

Another curse sailed towards her and she deflected it back, sending several cutting curses at the wizard in quick succession. He must not have expected a teenager to curse him back because the first two hit him and he staggered backwards. Cass used that moment to send a blasting curse at him, and the Death Eater went flying backwards, crashing through a window and sending glass cascading down onto the snow.

Cass spun back around, and her eyes searched frantically for her friends. She could no longer see Hermione, but her eyes landed on Theo who still hadn't moved. Cass' stomach jumped into her throat as she ran towards her friend. She pushed past screaming children, and dodged flying debris.

Cass tripped over a fallen bucket and landed a foot away from Theo. She looked up and froze. A killing curse could've sailed straight at her and she wouldn't have noticed. Her eyes were transfixed on Theo, not on his ashen face, but on the foot long piece of wood that was sticking out of his chest. His white shirt was stained with blood, and his chest wasn't moving.

A loud crack broke through the screams, and dozens of pops could be heard, breaking Cass out of her shock.

"Theo," Cass said urgently.

Cass grabbed Theo's arm, and his head lolled to the right. His eyes open, but void of any life.

"No, no, no," Cass pleaded.

She could see that the blood had stopped coming out of his chest, and she knew what that meant. With a shaking hand she cast a diagnostic spell and a sob tore through her body when her fear was realized. Not caring about anything, Cass pulled Theo tightly against her body, oblivious to his blood staining her dress. She rocked back and forth, her eyes glazed, and her hands entwined in Theo's shirt.

"Theo," Cass repeated over and over again.

Sobs racked Cass' body, and a pain so intense it threatened to obliterate all thought consumed her. She lost a brother she hadn't even got to know, and now one of her best and oldest friends was dead, at what appeared to be the hand of Death Eaters. Cass shook her head in denial, as a chill coated her like a second skin.

Cass thought an eternity had passed, but was in reality only five minutes when a pair of strong arms pulled her away from Theo. She didn't look to see who it was. Death himself could come for her, and she wouldn't care. Theo was dead. She didn't know where her brother was. Or Harrison. Or any of her other friends. What if they were dead too? What if they were lying all alone somewhere, their bodies twisted and mangled. What did living matter without the people she loved?