Chapter 126

29 December 1994

"I don't care," Sirius snapped. "I need to find him."

Remus sighed. "Do you think that I don't care about finding him? You know I do."

"Then you shouldn't suggest we-"

"I'm not suggesting that we stop looking for Harry," Remus said exasperated. "All I'm saying, is that at this time we've exhausted every avenue. You're exhausted, Sirius. You've barely slept, and you haven't done anything for you." He held up a hand and glared when Sirius went to interrupt him. "I'm worried about you, as are Tonks, Molly, Arthur, and everyone else. They don't know about Harry, so they're starting to think you've gone off the deep end. You need a break, just for a few hours. You know you won't be any good to Harry if you've lost you mind." He looked imploringly at Sirius. "Please."

Sirius looked older than he did when he first escaped from Azkaban. Remus was dying inside over not being able to find Harry, but seeing Sirius on the road to self-destruction - refusing to sleep, eat, and drinking too much fire whiskey - was killing him faster. Sirius would be no good to anyone if he went mental.

xxXXxxXXxxXXxxXx

Sirius looked at his best friend. He knew that he'd been acting crazy since finding out his godson was alive. It was killing him knowing that James and Lily's son was out there somewhere, and he didn't know if he was ok. Merlin, he didn't even know what he looked like now. But he knew that Remus was right, he wasn't going to be any help finding Harry in his current state of mind.

"Fine," Sirius acquiesced. "What do you suggest?"

"Tonks gave me this," Remus said.

Sirius grabbed the parchment from Remus and looked down at the fancy purple letters.

The Ministry of Magic is proud to sponsor a New Years Eve masquerade blowout at Hogsmeade Lake. Come dressed in your warmest sweater and most creative masquerade mask! Food and drinks will be provided from 8pm-1am, and there will be entertainment for all ages!

Sirius didn't bother to read the rest of it before tossing it onto the table.

"A masquerade blowout, seriously?" Sirius asked.

"Sirius," Remus chided. "It will be fun. Tonks will be there, and the Weasley's. It will be good for you to get out."

Sirius looked at the parchment and rolled his eyes.

"Fine," Sirius said. "I'll go, but I'm not staying that long."

Remus smiled and tucked the flier back into his pocket.

30 December 1994

"For your sake I hope you're joking," Amycus Carrow said lowly.

"Brother," Alecto said slowly, "he's young-"

"He's a Death Eater," Amycus said coldly, "he shouldn't fear death and destruction."

"I don't fear death and destruction," Erik Anderson said defensively. "I fear the Dark Lord's wrath if this angers him."

Amycus narrowed his eyes. "Do you think I would've suggested something like this had I not thought of the consequences?"