Chapter 50

The next evening at dinner a special evening edition of the Daily Prophet was delivered. Underneath a large photo of Tom and Lucius was an article and the answer to why Tom and Lucius were busy.

New Wizarding Orphanage Opens

By Rita Skeeter

This morning Riddle-Malfoy Orphanage, the first Wizarding orphanage in Britain, was opened. Britain was one of the only countries in the world that didn't have an orphanage. When a Wizarding child is left parent-less or a Muggle-born child is given up they either go to a Muggle orphanage or a family member. A Muggle orphanage is no place for a wizard or witch. Children can't control their accidental magic and is a threat to the International Statue of Secrecy, it could also be a potential danger to the child. Muggles don't understand magic and could lash out on the child when accidental magic does happen. Magical children growing up in Muggle orphanages often face abuse which is why one man decided to help the orphaned children of Britain.

Tom Riddle began plans for an orphanage a year ago and with the help of Lucius Malfoy made that dream a reality. Tom Riddle and Lucius Malfoy used their own money to acquire land in the English countryside and built a wonderful residence capable of holding one hundred children and twelve members of staff. I was lucky enough to be at the opening and saw the house where the children will be staying for myself. A large gray stone path leads to a large white manor with tall oak front doors. Upon entering I was in an airy entrance hall with oak floors and beautiful silver light fixtures and a large silver chandelier that had once belonged to Brutus Malfoy a confident of Arthur Pendragon, the once King of Muggle England and friend of the wizard Merlin. A wide staircase led to what was obviously the second floor.

The ground floor of the manor has a large dining hall, two expansive sitting rooms, a library and a play room. The play room was filled with magical toys and the library had thousands of books for both children and teens. There were also several other rooms that could be used as classrooms or study rooms, as well as two bathrooms. The second floor had bedrooms, each one would hold two children. The third floor had more bedrooms for the children as well as the staff quarters. The extensive grounds are beautiful, a large lake sits behind the manor and tall trees covered with snow looked like large frosted Christmas trees. Two glass greenhouses hold many plants both for young children and teens.

As of this morning Riddle-Malfoy Orphanage is home to thirteen children, the youngest being two and the oldest being ten. The orphanage will be serviced by house elves purchased by both Tom Riddle and Lucius Malfoy. The staff was hired after extensive background checks and interviews to make sure the best candidates were hired.

"I am pleased that after a year of hard work Riddle-Malfoy Orphanage is ready to open," Tom Riddle stated. "I've always loved children and I knew that this was something I was meant to do."

"When my good friend Tom came to me for help with opening an orphanage I was of course willing to help," Lucius Malfoy answered when asked about why he got involved. "Like Tom, I've been blessed with a fortune and I'm thankful for it. Being able to give to those less fortunate, especially children is a heartwarming experience."

When asked how the orphanage would remain able to operate Tom Riddle smiled kindly.

"Lucius and I paid for the orphanage and opened a vault at Gringotts in its name," Tom explained. "There is enough money for it to be able to operate for several months. The children will all receive everything they need and upon turning ten they will receive a small monthly allowance. This is to help them learn the value of money and be able to purchase some things of their own."

Lucius Malfoy elaborated on his friends response. "This summer we will hold a charity event and all proceeds will go to the Riddle-Malfoy Orphanage. Also if anyone wants to at any time they can donate money through the mail, anything sent to Riddle-Malfoy Orphanage will be delivered and received. The children will appreciate any donation and so will Tom and myself."

Thanks to these two extraordinary men magical children will now be able to live in a safe and happy environment. I for one wish the staff and the children the best of luck and encourage all who read this article to send a donation. Every sickle will go towards making sure these children live a healthy and full life.

Harrison looked up to gauge Dumbledore's reaction and he saw that there was no twinkle in the old mans blue eyes. Harrison very much wanted to smirk and laugh in his face but he settled for smiling in a manner one would if they were proud of someone's accomplishment. Which he was, but not for the reason people would think. He knew that the main reason why his father wanted to open an orphanage was for the good publicity. However, Harrison also knew that magical children being abused infuriated his father. Harrison knew it had something to do with Tom growing up in a Muggle orphanage.