Chapter 127

Fireworks exploded, bright colors painting the night sky. A red dragon soared through the air, sparks shooting from his mouth. It reminded Ginny of the first task, seeing Viktor dodging scorching hot flames as he tried to get an egg from a nesting mother. A shiver ran down her spine at the thought. The dragon exploded, dissolving into smaller fireworks which formed dozens of glittering flowers.

"They're beautiful," Ginny said in awe.

"Yes, you are," Viktor whispered in her ear.

Ginny blushed, but she couldn't hide the silly grin on her face. She leaned in closer to Viktor as a chill ran through her. She hadn't wanted to join the huge crowd near the lake, because she didn't want to be pushed and shoved. Now she was wishing she had chosen to slip into the crowd because at least she wouldn't be cold.

"Do you vant me to cast another warming charm?" Viktor asked.

"I'm ok," Ginny said with a grateful smile.

As more fireworks burst into the sky, illuminating the happy faces around her who had also chosen to stay away from the crowd, a loud scream pierced through the noise. Ginny had thought she was hearing things until she saw Viktor's wand drop into his hand, and his free hand wrapped around her wrist.

"Viktor what—" Ginny never got to ask her question, because a bench several feet away shattered into hundreds of pieces. The wood flew through the air like shrapnel. She flinched, but nothing hit her. She looked over and saw that Viktor had cast a protective shield.

Viktor looked at her, his expression furious.

"Someone put up anti-apparition vards, ve need to get out of here. Get your vand out," Viktor said sharply, his accent coming out thick, "and stay next to me."

Ginny shook as she pulled her wand from inside her coat. Viktor pulled her away from the direction of the lake, and she couldn't believe how fast Hogsmeade had descended into mayhem. She felt as if she had been transported into a war zone, as she stepped on blood soaked snow. She thought her head would explode from the high pitched screams and explosions coming from every direction. They ran past a woman whose face was contorted in a silent scream, as she rocked a bloody body, whose face was half gone, back and forth. Ginny felt bile rise in her throat, and tears fell from her eyes.

"Death Eaters!" Ginny gasped.

A wizard wearing a black cloak and a bone white mask was exchanging spells with two shop owners. Viktor's hand on her wrist tightened at her words, and he pulled her so hard she thought he might pull her arm out of its socket. She was about to pull back when Viktor stopped and she ran into him.

A Death Eater shot a curse at Viktor who threw up a shield before casting a curse of his own. Ginny knew she should keep going, but something held her still. She couldn't move her eyes away from the spells going back and forth at a dizzying rate. Suddenly, the Death Eater shot a barrage of spells, purple and yellow sickly lights coming at Viktor fast, and he appeared strained as he put up a powerful shield which flickered at each hit. Then the Death Eater sent a neon blue spell towards Ginny. She felt like she was seeing and moving in slow motion.

Ginny cast a protection shield, but it wasn't strong enough and she was blasted backwards. A pain she didn't think was possible shot from her head through her shoulder, and a scream so loud she thought her throat was going to explode ripped through the air. Her arm felt as if someone was simultaneously dipping it in hot lava and ice. She looked down and saw that her right arm looked as if it had been skinned from the tip of her middle finger to right under her shoulder. Her arm appeared to be convulsing, and another scream fled her.

Ginny felt her stomach drop and her back arched as her stomach emptied its contents. The pain was too intense and she couldn't force herself to sit up, so vomit cascaded down both sides of her face. She started choking, and she started to think that this was how she would die, when someone came behind her and pushed her up more roughly than she wanted and a whimper escaped her.

"Breathe," Viktor said. A trace of worry in his clipped tone.

Viktor pointed his wand at her throat, and she gulped in air. She began coughing, and every move felt like it would kill her causing more tears to flow down her face.

"Ve need to get you out of here," Viktor said.

"How?" Ginny croaked.

Viktor cursed in Bulgarian, as Ginny watched as two adults and a teenager dueled with a Death Eater. Her breathing began to speed up, as she realized that death and destruction was going to be the last thing she saw. With her good hand she clawed for Viktor's robes, and she dug her fist into the soft fabric. She felt herself going cold, and several times Viktor had to cast a shield charm to protect them from flying debris.

"Go," Ginny gasped out.

"No," Viktor said sharply. "I vill not leave you."

Ginny felt a flood of emotion for Viktor swell inside of her, and the pain she felt intensified. She let out a strangled whimper at the thought of him dying.

"You can't d—" Ginny's voice died in her throat when a loud crack popped through the air.

"The vards are down," Viktor said.

Ginny saw several people disappear, and dozens of aurors popped into existence. A relieved cry rang out from somewhere behind her.

Viktor wrapped his arm around Ginny's waist. "This vill hurt."

Ginny closed her eyes, a sharp pain coursed through her, and her vision went black as they left Hogsmeade behind.