Chapter 100

Fred stepped out of the floo and his senses were immediately assaulted with the smell of something damp, dusty, and rotting. He looked around and if he hadn't known he had just entered the headquarters to the Order of the Phoenix he would've thought he had entered an old derelict building. Old-fashioned gas lamps shaped like snakes lined the walls, casting a faint glow over the peeling wall paper and threadbare carpet. A cobweb covered chandelier hung from the ceiling, and age-blackened portraits hung crooked on the walls. What appeared to be tiny snakes were etched into the frames, and Fred could've sworn they were moving slightly.

Fred absentmindedly took a step to the right when he heard the floo flare to life and he looked down when he felt his leg bump into something. He looked down and grimaced at an umbrella stand that appeared to have been made from a severed trolls leg. 'Draco would have a heart attack if he so much as saw pictures of this place.'

"Merlin's dirty underwear," George muttered.

"George!" Molly scolded. "Language."

"I don't blame you," a deep but raspy voice said. Fred looked up to see a tall and thin man walking down the main staircase. His face was gaunt, although Fred could tell that before Azkaban he had been a handsome man. His silk robes were three times too large, and his hair flowed down to his shoulders. "I never did like this place, even as a kid."

"Sirius," Molly said kindly. "It's good to see you."

"Hello, Molly," Sirius said.

"How are you feeling, dear?" Molly asked, as she pulled the man into a hug. Fred noticed Sirius flinch when his mother put her arms around him.

"As well as can be expected," Sirius said. His answer sounded rehearsed, as if he had been saying the same thing over and over.

"You look much too thin," Molly chided. "While I'm here we'll see about fattening you up." She tapped his cheek, and Sirius gave her a strained smile.

"Hello, Molly," Fred looked up in surprise at the voice. Remus walked down the staircase, and the Weasley matriarch smiled warmly.

"Remus!" Molly said. "So good to see you."

Fred and George exchanged glances. They knew that Remus was a member of the Order, but they hadn't expected him to be at Grimmauld Place for the winter holidays.

"Did you meet everyone, Sirius?" Remus asked.

"Oh, my," Molly said flustered. "How silly of me. You haven't met any of the children." Molly reached out. "These are my twins, Fred and George."

"Hello, I'm Fred," George said.

"And, I'm George," Fred said.

"Hello, Fred," Sirius said, as he reached his hand out to the real Fred.

Fred and George exchanged surprised looks.

"What?" Sirius asked amusedly. "You don't think I can see recognize pranksters when I see them? I would bet a fortune that the two of you normally introduce yourselves as the opposite brother."

"Fred!" Molly said, sounding scandalized. "George!"

"Don't worry Molly," Sirius said. "I'd do the same thing if I had a twin."

Fred and George exchanged a look while the rest of the introductions were made. Harrison would find it very interesting to know that Sirius Black seemed very sharp for a man who had only recently left Azkaban. Fred had expected to find the man barely forming coherent sentences, and here he was making jokes with Ginny about having six older brothers.

"Shall we adjourn to the kitchen?" Remus asked. "I can make us some tea, and the children cocoa."

"Cocoa sounds wonderful," Ginny said, her cheeks tinging pink.

"I'll see to it, Remus," Molly said. "Just show me where the kettle is."

Fred followed his twin into the kitchen and he had to contain a shudder. He came to the conclusion that he was spending too much time with his Slytherin friends — his standards had become too high. The room was gloomy, with the only light coming from a large fire at the far end of the room. Iron pots and pans hung from the ceiling, and even from the other side of the room Fred could see years of rust caked on them all. A long wooden table sat in the middle of the room, and a snake shaped candelabra sat in the center.

"More snakes," Ron muttered under his breath.

Fred and George shot his brother matching glares simultaneously.

"My parents had a thing for them," Sirius said. He picked up the candelabra and tossed it in the trash where it landed with a loud thunk. "Remus has been coming over every night after dinner to help me clean the place out, but as you can tell we've yet to finish."

"Why don't you get a house elf?" George asked. "It would save you loads of time."

Sirius' lips puckered as if he tasted something sour. "I have yet to have a good experience with a house elf."

"So, Sirius," Molly began as she poured hot water in several chipped mugs. "Have you thought about what you're going to do? You used to be an auror. Have you thought about going back?"

"No," Sirius said quickly. Everyone stared at him, and he quickly cleared his throat. "I just mean, I've only been home for a little over a month. I haven't given it much thought."

"There's nothing wrong with that," Molly said with a smile. "You need your rest." Molly waved her wand and the kettle flew back onto the stove. "Since we're here Sirius, and you do need your rest, the children and I can finish cleaning."

"What?" Ron asked incredulously.

Molly shot her youngest son a withering look. "Sirius is being gracious enough to allow us to stay in his home. The very least we can do is help make it look and feel more like a home."

"That's kind, Molly," Sirius said, "but you don't have too."

"Pish posh," Molly said. "The children and I will get started on it right away. That way it will be nice and clean by Christmas morning."