Chapter 31

Fred was getting ready to sing the school song in a slow funeral march like he did every year when he heard Ron scream. He snapped his head towards Ron and saw a dozen spiders crawling all over his empty plate. Before he could blink the spiders multiplied and soon spiders began filling the entire Gryffindor table. All of the Gryffindors who had previously been in shock at the sight screamed and jumped away from the table.

"Spiders!" Katie Bell yelled as she paled.

"Get them off, get them off," Dean yelled as several crawled up his arms.

Fred and George were two of the only Gryffindors that had remained seated. They exchanged looks before looking at the Slytherin table where Harrison was staring innocently at their younger brother. They could see Blaise and Draco holding onto each other for support as they laughed and Leo was obviously trying to maintain composure as he chuckled slightly. The other Slytherins all appeared to be torn between laughing at the Gryffindors misfortune and acting proper. In the end their laughter won out and the noise was deafening.

Fred felt both amusement and pride as he watched the usual stuffy Ravenclaws laugh at Ron who was jumping around in circles. The only ones besides the Gryffindors who weren't laughing were the Hufflepuffs and professors. Fred knew that if they were on their table they wouldn't find it funny but seeing their least favorite house panic must be amusing.

"That's genius," George said as he began to laugh.

"To right you are dear twin of mine," Fred laughed.

Lee Jordan was guffawing, Fred knew that he had always loved spiders. Fred couldn't stop his laughter as he watched Ron continue to spin around flailing his arms. Spiders had somehow managed to crawl all over him and he was the only Gryffindor who hadn't been smart enough to move away from the table, Fred assumed it was because of his great fear of spiders. Even his best friends Dean and Seamus backed away but they were slowly making their way forward to try helping Ron. Fred and George remained seated because they realized the spiders were only trying to get on Ron, Dean and Seamus.

"Help me!" Ron shrieked.

Professor McGonagall, Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore ran forward waving their wands to remove the spiders but they wouldn't disappear.

"Mr. Weasley hold still," Madam Pomfrey said as she tried getting closer to him.

"I c-can't," Ron yelled. "They're everywhere!"

Fred's laughter stopped when he saw the furious look on Dumbledore's face as he continued to try vanishing the spiders. Fred looked over at Harrison and saw his arm jerk slightly, instantly all of the spiders disappeared. He looked and George and knew that they were both doing the same thing, making a mental note to congratulate Harrison later.

"Who is responsible for this?" Professor McGonagall demanded, her scottish accent coming out in her anger.

The entire Great Hall went silent with the exception of a whimpering Ron.

"Come on dear," Madam Pomfrey said putting her hand on Ron's shoulder. "Let's go to the hospital wing and I'll get you a calming draught."

Fred noticed that most of the students were looking at him and George. He felt pride that everyone thought they did something not even Dumbledore had been able to remove, but also slightly insulted at the same time. He pointedly looked anywhere but at the Slytherin table. He had grown to see Harrison like a brother, more of a brother than he saw Ron as. He wasn't going to get him into trouble so just stared around pretending to be interested in something else.

"Misters Weasley?" McGonagall asked through pursed lips.

"We didn't do it." Fred and George said at the same time.

Dumbledore's blue eyes landed on Fred and he looked angry. Fred could tell he was trying to see if they were lying or not. Apparently he believed them because he soon turned away.

"Know that if I find who is responsible for this the perpetrator will be in trouble. I haven't been so ashamed of one of my students in a long time," Dumbledore announced unusually stern. "Prefects please escort your house mates to your common room."