Chapter 96

3:00 PM

Sirius' eyes snapped open. More than one hundred pairs of eyes were staring at him, a large majority of them terrified. Some, he noticed, appeared to have been crying recently. He could hear their hushed voices, and he didn't like what he heard. He was guilty to all of them, and the ones that knew he wasn't guilty would never try to help him. He tried to move his arms, but they were chained to a large black chair. His body ached, and his mouth felt as if he had swallowed a desert. Sirius opened his mouth, he wanted to yell that he was innocent, but no words came out. No matter what he did, no sound would come out of his mouth.

Sirius began to panic. He knew he shouldn't have stayed to check on the auror, but he was so young. The auror had black hair, and he reminded Sirius of his best friend. Sirius didn't want to leave him until he ensured that the auror was ok. Now, because of his foolishness, he found himself captured. A part of him was glad, if he was in the Wizengamot they would question him, and he could clear his name, but if they chose not to question him then he'd find himself back in Azkaban. Or worse, he'd receive the kiss. A part of him wondering how the Wizengamot had been called together so soon, but he heard a familiar voice that tore him from his concentration. Sirius looked towards the voice and paled when he saw Lucius Malfoy. Lucius smiled cruelly at Sirius, and Sirius tugged at the chains that bound his wrists. He looked away in an effort to calm himself down. If Lucius Malfoy had any say, Sirius would receive the dementor's kiss by the days end. He took a deep breath and looked at the other members, many of whom were trying and failing to take covert glances towards him. He recognized several high ranking Death Eaters, which did nothing to quell his panic, and began to make his blood boil.

A loud banging echoed around the hall, as a woman who he once called a friend banged a gavel. She looked furious, but Sirius had the feeling that anger wasn't directed towards him. In fact, when she looked at him, Sirius would've sworn that her eyes softened.

"Order in the Wizengamot," Amelia Bone's voiced boomed. "I have called this emergency session of the Wizengamot to-"

Amelia's next words were cut off as the large oak doors that led into the chamber were flung open. Cornelius Fudge walked in, a green bowler perched atop his large head. Sirius didn't recognized the large woman wearing a lurid pink dress that followed closely behind him.

"Madam Bones," Fudge said angrily. "What is the meaning of this?" He stopped abruptly when his eyes landed on Sirius. "This man should be in Azkaban receiving the kiss!" Murmurs of agreement rang out around the hall. Sirius snarled when he saw a smirk appear on the smug face of Lucius Malfoy.

"Minister Fudge," Amelia said stiffly. "Several days ago, it was brought to my attention that Sirius Black was never given a trial twelve years ago. An auror also admitted to being saved by Sirius Black today during the Hogsmeade attack." Fudge's face was crimson. "As this information was brought to my attention, I am required to enter it into my report. As Minister of Magic, you know that reports are public record. Do I need to explain to you how it will make your government look if someone finds out that Sirius Black was denied a trial and when it was brought to our attention he didn't receive one? Because of this, I thought it was pertinent for him to receive a trial. After this mornings attack, the people of wizarding Britain will feel safer knowing that their government is being proactive. And as you were not Minister of Magic when he was sentenced to Azkaban, none of the blame will fall onto you."

Fudge opened his mouth, before his eyes landed on a blonde sitting in the visitors gallery. Sirius recognized the woman as a girl he had gone to school with, Rita Skeeter. Why her appearance made Fudge go pale and snap his mouth shut though he didn't know.