Chapter 124

Tom watched as his son led the Delacour sisters towards a table laden with non-alcoholic eggnog.

"It's good to see you again," Apolline said politely.

Tom looked into Apolline's face. Had anyone else looked at her, they would've seen a gorgeous woman with a confident smile, and brilliant blue eyes. But Tom could see past the mask that she wore, of a politician's perfect wife, and into the depths of her eyes, where fear was lurking.

"It's always a pleasure," Tom said, as had Harrison, he grabbed her hand and kissed her knuckles. "I am glad to see you here, Pierre." He reached out and firmly shook France's Minister of Magic's hand.

"I'm glad to be here," Pierre said.

"I must admit," Tom said, "that I was surprised when Harrison told me you'd be coming to Britain for the winter holidays. One would think it would be difficult to get away for several weeks when running a country."

Pierre frowned in disapproval. "I felt it prudent to visit my daughter after that nasty business at your Ministry. With all due respect, your Ministry seems to be turning into quite the madhouse. Two men murdered in cold blood? A lack of aurors? You're government needs a serious overhaul." Tom smiled, and Pierre shook his head. "You know that isn't what I meant."

Out of the corner of his eye, Tom could see Apolline stiffen and her eyes go wide. Pierre must have seen her change in demeanor because the corners of his lips turned down and he cleared his throat. Tom laughed.

"There is no need to fear, Apolline," Tom said, purposefully lacing his tone with amusement. "Your husband is entitled to his beliefs and opinions." He looked seriously at Pierre. "However, given recent events in Britain, and the overall decline in governments throughout the Wizarding World, a smart man would begin to question how things are being done."

Pierre looked at Tom, and he could see the wheels spinning in the French man's gaze. Tom knew the Minister was anything but a fool, and that it would take more than that incident, and various Ministries incompetence to make him drastically change his mind.

"I would be remiss to deny that recent events have made me question certain policies," Pierre admitted. "However, once more I must say, with all due respect, I think that here is neither the time or the place for such a discussion."

"I quite agree," Tom said. "We must speak before you return to France."

"Oui," Pierre said. His eyes darted off to the side. "We must."

"Now that this matter is closed for the current time," Tom said, "Apolline, do you care for a dance?"

Tom could see Apolline swallow harder than normal.

"I would be honored," Apolline said, plastering a large smile on her face.

xxXXxxXXxxXXxxXx

Fleur wrapped her arms around Harrison, so that her chest was flush against his back.

"I want you," Fleur whispered in his ear. Harrison turned his head to the side, but before he could say anything Fleur continued, "There has to be somewhere for us to go and be alone." The way she said 'alone' made heat soar through Harrison.

"Here?" Harrison asked.

"Yes," Fleur whispered, her breathe tickling his ear. "Here's the perfect place."