Chapter 18

Harrison was running his finger over the spine of a large red book when an unwelcome voices words made him freeze.

"Did you find out what he was hiding?" Seamus asked.

Harrison cursed himself for not yet learning the disillusionment charm as he peered around the shelf. Ron, Dean and Seamus were standing around a table while Ron sat down several thick books. Harrison instantly became curious, those particular Gryffindors weren't known for reading more than what was required.

"Dragons!" Ron whispered. "Hagrid was looking up stuff about dragons! Look at these: Dragon Species of Great Britain and Ireland; From Egg to Inferno, A Dragon Keeper's Guide."

Dragons? What the bloody hell would that oaf need a book on how to keep dragons, unless...no not even Hagrid was that dense, well maybe. Although Harrison sincerely hoped not, he didn't want to be charred to a crisp.

"Hagrid's always wanted a dragon, he told me so the first time I went down to his hut for tea," said Seamus. "Maybe he somehow found an egg."

Harrison had to suppress a snort, people don't just leave dragon eggs lying around.

"But it's against our laws," said Ron. "Dragon breeding was outlawed by the Warlocks' Convention of 1709, everyone knows that." Harrison had to stop himself from doing a double take; Ron actually knows some useful information? Who would've guessed? "It's hard to stop Muggles from noticing us if we're keeping dragons in the back garden - anyway, you can't tame dragons, it's dangerous. You should see the burns Charlie's got off wild ones in Romania."

Charlie? That must be another Weasley.

"But there aren't wild dragons in Britain?" Dean asked.

Harrison rolled his emerald eyes.

"Common Welsh Green and Hebridean Blacks. The Ministry of Magic has a job hushing them up, I can tell you. Our kind has to keep putting spells on Muggles who've spotted them, to make them forget," Ron told them.

"So what exactly is Hagrid up to?" Dean asked hesitantly.

"I don't know, let's go down to his hut and find out," Ron said picking up his bag and heading towards the library exit.

Harrison walked out from behind the bookshelf after the three Gryffindors left; Hagrid must have a dragon. He smirked as he thought of all the different ways this could play out. Telling Dumbledore was definitely out and so was telling any other professor except for Snape. If I tell Snape he won't be able to do anything except for tell Dumbledore. I need to find the others.

"Hagrid has a dragon?" Theo repeated incredulously. "You're joking."

Harrison gave Theo an annoyed look. "I wouldn't joke about something like that."

"What are we going to do about it?" Jenna asked. "We can always tell a prefect or Sev."

Leo rolled his eyes. "Are you thick?" Jenna gave him an insulted look. "All they'll do is go to old Dumbledore," he spat the headmasters name, "and besides all that will happen is Hagrid gets into trouble. If we play it right we can get not only Hagrid but the three dimwitted Gryffindors into trouble as well."